Swapping default and alternate glyphs

Let’s say I have two 'a’s on my typeface. One of them being the ‘default’ ‘original’ ‘a’ and the other being an alternative to this ‘a’, which I named ‘a.ss08’. Because it’s an ‘a’, I have also this alternate ‘a’ with all needed diacritics, so I have 'aacute.ss08, ‘agrave.ss08’ and so on. So let’s say I want to swap. I want my current alternate ‘a.ss08’ to be my ‘default’ ‘a’ and my current default ‘a’ to become the alternate ‘a.ss08’. Is there a fast way to do this? Thanks!

There is a parameter called Replace Glyphs that does exactly that, for the instances you intend it for.

1 Like

And how do I use it and/or apply it? I want it for all instances and masters.

You simply rename the glyphs if it’s for the whole font. You use the parameter in the instances if just for some instances.

1 Like

Ok! Will try that! Thank you so much, Rainer!

So, what’s the correct syntax for doing that?

hi!

i have a similar problem. have six glyphs and they have *.ss01 alternates. but i want to make the *.ss01 the default and the default the *.ss01. i tried to rename the default like *.001, so the name is free so i could in the next step rename the *.ss01 to the default and in the step after rename the *.001 to the .ss01.

but when i change the default’s name, glyphs crashes somehow.

is there a smarter way to swap the names?

thanks a lot in advance!
basti

Do you rename by the search/replace dialog?

You can use the TypeNurse script “Swap glyph names”. The scripts are available in the plugin manager.

1 Like

i single-clicked the name in the list view, typed the name and hit enter, then it crashed.

don’t know how i can make it work with the search/replace dialog as the default glyph name doesn’t have any specific suffix to replace?

If you select some glyphs, leave the “Search” field empty and add “.001” in replace, it will append that to all selected glyph names.