Switch to corresponding glyph in ‘Next Font’?

Hi all,

I’m in the process of harmonizing the Romans and the Italics of a new family (two separate Glyphs files). I have installed the ‘Show Next Font’ plugin which is a fantastic help. Big thanks to @guidoferreyra.

Now, sometimes the Roman glyph needs tweaking and sometimes the Italic glyph does and it would be super handy to be able to instantly switch between the two corresponding glyphs. Does anyone know of a script that does that?

Thanks, Alex

That would be a very good task to learn some python. :wink: You can use the “Show Next Font” plugin as a basis.

I was afraid of that :slight_smile:
Well, if no such script exists I may even give it a try.

Glad to hear that “Show Next font” is useful for you. Sometimes when I need the same function that you are saying. Maybe could be a good addition to the plugin in the future. Meanwhile you can use Toshi’s “Sync Edit Views” script.
You can find it here https://github.com/Tosche/Glyphs-Scripts

Best regards.

1 Like

Thanks again Guido, ‘Sync Edit Views’ almost does the trick! All I have to do now is figure out how to make it switch windows as well :slight_smile:

There is a system shortcut to switch between document windows. Find the shortcut in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Keyboard > Move Focus to next window. It varies with different keyboards/layouts. But it is one of my most used shortcut.

1 Like

Great tip Georg, thanks. Now I have a one-click-and-one-keystroke solution, which is almost as good as a one-click solution and much better than manual switching.

You can add a shortcut to the script. Then it is two keystrokes.

The ‘Sync Edit Views’ script has a floating palette with a button that needs to be clicked, but that’s fine with me.

Hi Alex! I’ve updated the ShowNextFont plugin adding sync edit views in a right click menu.
Maybe now can speed your workflow.

1 Like

Thank you Guido, great!