Testing OpenType features in Glyphs

I can’t seem to find it on the forum, so maybe I overlooked. I’m looking for a topic about OpenType feature testing.

Is it possible to test the OpenType features in Glyphs before exporting the font? Fontlab has a similar feature where you can see the features in action and optimize them.

Thank,
René

You can select the feature with the popup in the lower left corner of the edit view. You might need to click the “compile” button in Font Info > Features to activate it.

Ah yes, fantastic! I was looking for it in the menu, a post-FontLab deformation. I should have realized that Glyphs is much more intuitive.

Georg, you’ve got a fantastic app here. I absolutely love it. Live diacritics is phenomenal. :wink:

®

When I try to do this with the open source Japanese font Source Han Sans I see a red exclamation mark next to the pop-down icon which then can’t be selected. I’m specifically interested in viewing all kanji in this font with NLC 2000 alternate forms, i.e. with the ‘nlck’ OpenType feature enabled.

I can see a list of nlck substitutions expressed in cidxxxxx format in Font Info. When I try to compile, I get a MakeOTFerror saying “Syntax error at ‘2000’ missing in Feature file at line 44.”

Is the MakeOTFerror related to the red exclamation mark next to the pop-down?

The red exclamation mark means that the features can’t be compiled. Open Font Info > Features and click the compile button to get a error message. To better understand how do fix this: https://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/troubleshooting-a-font-that-does-not-export

Thanks — I will try to fix with your instructions.