Trying to interpolate between imported files

I have fixed startpoint several times and tried every kind of filter that seems to apply. This is truly maddening.

Can you send me that glyph?

Should I send you the file?

yes.

These two nodes are not present in the other master:

I found that by selecting the starting point and observing the blue line that connects to the other master. Then I repeatedly hit the tab key and check if the right points are connects. As soon as I see two points connected that are not supposed to match I’m close to the problem. Switch between masters and go back and forth and you will circle in on it quite quickly.

(and close some of the tabs. That will reduce the time it takes to open the file quite a bit)

The tab key will move me from point to point?

From on selected item to the next of its kind. You can tab through nodes, anchors, and components.

That helps to know. Solving the issue seems too random, though. It has taken many hours, but I have cleaned up many of my triangle errors now, mostly, by copying the glyph from the opposite master into the background of the current master and matching points. I wish there were a pluggin that would do that for you?

Try “Mask to Master” from the freemix scripts by JAF.

1 Like

Thanks, Florian!

On to phase 2. I have spent the week fixing all the orange triangles and am trying to move on to “Extrapolation”. I can’t find out where the command lives? Also, there is a discrepancy between what the Tutorial shows and what my file shows? [see attached]
So what do I do now? Where do I see an on-screen view of what the instance looks like and control the amount of change? How do I get the instance to output?

Just a bump. I don’t know if anyone saw this? Should I start a new thread?

To extrapolate add an instance with an axis outside the range you already have in your masters. For example, if you have weight masters for 72 and 120 and want to extrapolate an ultra instance set the weight to 250. Then select the instance, click the + button, and choose “Instance as master”.

1 Like

Thanks! I will give it a try!

I have learned a great deal from this frustrating endeavor. I have learned the value of “Reverse Paths” and “Make node First”. It took me a week to straighten out the mess the 1st time, a day the second time, and 3 hour the last time. Part of the problem is with 5k monitors. it is very hard to see nodes and handles at tiny and pales dimensions. I also think the color of the border should change from red to say green when contours need to be flipped and that there should be a highlight of the extra nodes and handles on the 2nd master. This whole process is at best, unpleasant and a perfect target for a filter to be designed by some kindhearted and script-savvy soul to take aim at.
I also wish that there were a way to preview the potential instance between the two masters to help in making the decision. Perhaps a test word and a sliding bar to compare?

Variable Font Preview by Mark Frömerg does that but it isn’t ready for G3 just yet. It costs €59.99.
https://markfromberg.com/index.php?/projects/

1 Like

I sent him a note
Thanks!

Keeping masters compatible once you get used to just drawing them with compatible outlines from the start. After a while you’ll do it without thinking about it.

1 Like

Thanks, James. I know this but I have 20 years of work begun well before my recent switch to Glyphs. I can’t help my frustration but I do know that this is NOT the fault of the Glyphs Team. They have been very helpful and patient with me.