TTF Hinting preview

Here is my initial feedback on the TTF hinted outline preview added in 739/740.
• I’d like to be able to use a modifier key and the up/down arrows as hotkeys for changing size.
• Sizes are listed in “pts”, that should probably be “px” (pixels)
• I’d like a View option to show/hide paths because complex paths can obscure the preview path. With a shortcut.
• Performance is terrible when the preview runs or when I switch sizes

FYI — Every time I try to access the truetype inspector via the toolbar Glyphs crashes. I sent a error report in.

Can the spacebar preview display the hinted form of the glyph that I see in red when I’m in TT hinting mode? I think it’s safe to assume people in hinting mode don’t need to view the outline as it will print.

2 Likes

Also, why not do something different with the Preview window (at the bottom of the screen) when in hinting mode? A waterfall of size previews (9px, 10px, 11px, 12px, etc.) would be convenient. I don’t mean to display the previews at actual size, but to display previews like those in the full-size hinted outline preview.

3 Likes

Something is in the works. But it still takes a little time.

1 Like

I was wondering… is it working?
I remember you showed us in the workshop that you had a pixel grid view…

The pixel grid with the distorted outline is available already. Some updates in the latest betas, so you may want to switch to cutting edge.

1 Like

Hi, where can I find pixel preview? Cant really find that with 2.3 manual hinting options (grayscale…)

Switch to the TrueType tool?