TTFAutohint Control Instructions as external file

Is there a way to specify a path to an external file where the istructions are located. Typing directly or copy and pasting from external file to the custom parameter it’s a little bit uncomfortable.

Thanks!

You mean for the prep and function table? How is your workflow where you need to edit them?

Sorry, I mean TTFAutohint control instructions.

My workflow is check point indexes in Glyphs and write the control instructions in a external editor because If I want to write the instructions directly in the Custom Parameter I need to have the floating textbox open and it “locks” the app.

So I have a text editor in the half of the window and in the other Glyphs, after I wrote the instruction for a point, I open font info and copy the content to the custom parameter, this demands a quite a few keystrokes and clicks.

Maybe this was the reason why @mekkablue wrote the TT Control Instruction Palette but the small font size and having it on the palette is not the best for me.

That can be saved If I it was possible instead of writing the instructions directly on the custom parameter use a “include” with the path to the external file.

Btw, the TT Instructor is not always showing the point indexes (I have TTPreviewAlsoShowOffCurveIndexes set to True) see screenshot below.

One could make a version of the palette plugin that shows a floating window instead. Then it could have big enough text and is still always accessible.

If you need control instructions in many glyphs, it might be quicker to manually hint the font. (That would reduce the file size quite a bit, too)

It was missing the last two indexes. I fixed that.

1 Like

Yes, I was thinking on making something simple like floating vanilla window with a big textbox and saves to the parameter.

If you need control instructions in many glyphs, it might be quicker to manually hint the font. (That would reduce the file size quite a bit, too)

Didn’t know about the file size, thanks for the tip