Two questions, scripting components, kerning/metrics

hi, first of all, i absolutely love this app, thank you so much for all of your hard work!

1. Scripting components
    Let’s say, for instance, that I want to create a handwritten typeface, but I’d like for each character to be made up of a random set of components. So, for the ‘n’, I would have a number of components that made up the left stroke and a number of components that made up the right stroke. My question is, is there a way to script a character so that it chooses randomly between a set of components?

2. Kerning/Metrics
    If I wanted to then take that handwritten typeface from above (with all the kerning groups, spacing and kerning) and create two typefaces – one of which would contain pieces of each letter and the other one contained the other pieces of the each letter. So, in essence, someone could set some type using typeface ‘a’ then, duplicate that same setting, but using typeface ‘b’, so that different parts of each letter could be assigned different colors. My question is, is there a way to preserve the character widths and kerning groups/spacing so that each of the letters fit together perfectly?

When I’ve tried 02. I notice that the widths of the characters, and consequently their spacing/kerning readjusts once a piece of the letter is removed…

thank you in advance, and again, lovely, lovely, lovely little app!

1. Yes, you can do that. You just need to write that script. Have a look at the scripts from Mekkablue and the python documentation

2. Disabling auto alignment should keep the width when you change the parts of your glyphs.

Thank you for the quick responses. I don’t know how you guys do it, with all of the questions, but it’s remarkable and appreciated.

1. I’ve been taking a look at Mekkablue’s scripts, and I’m afraid that level of scripting might be beyond me, but I’m wondering if there might be a way to have a component (position placeholder) that has multiple layers, then, ask the glyph to choose randomly between those layers in the component?

completely different question:
3) I would love to use Mekkablue’s ‘steal kerning from indesign’ script, but when I’ve tried it I get different error messages.
(AppleScript Error:
75:80: syntax error: Expected end of line but found identifier. (-2741)

Extracting kerning from InD doc:
Found text:
Found font:
Applying kerning to: Routine, Master: Regular

End)

Initially, I (mistakenly) bought the app from the apple app store, so I’m not able to upgrade it, but the versions I’m using are:
MacOSX 10.6.8, Glyphs Version 1.4.4 (609), and InDesign CS5
(I know, I’m outdated with my software, but I’m just so comfortable with it). Is there any chance a Glyphs Update will be available for those that have purchased through the app store?

We offer upgrades for the App Store version. Send us a mail. But Glyphs 2 needs at least MacOS 10.9. So until you upgrade your system you can only use Glyphs 1.

About the kerning script: The script was never tested in CS5. Possible it doesn’t work with it. Also possible it doesn’t work with your system version.

About components: they always link back to the same font master, so you can either place the paths directly, or have different glyphs.