Underline is height of the page in Indesign

Hi all, I know there are a lot of posts on underlines and strikethroughs and how various apps ignore the custom values (and I’ve been through this before and generally don’t customize them) BUT

I have a weird issue in InDesign where if I highlight a word in a font I am working on the underline obscures the whole word and extends vertically to the top and bottom of the page. The same is true with the strikethrough. I didn’t want to customize underline and strike through but it happens with or without those parameters added to the font.

It’s a variable font and I’m working from an install of the variable file not static OTF exports.

Can anyone help explain / help me fix this please?

Screenshots attached: my font with word underlined next to Arial with word underlined to show it’s not happening to all fonts. And the parameters I have for underline and strikethrough for two exports, one with one without.

Thanks!!!

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 11.21.36 AM Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 11.22.01 AM

@GeorgSeifert have you ever come across this before?
Thanks

No.
I would check if there is a glyph with very big bounding box.

Thanks - all the bounding boxes are the same height. But I have noticed that the same thing happens on all the other variable fonts I have exported whether they have strikeout or underline settings or not… It’s not an issue in Illustrator, Photoshop, Text Edit or Pages (I don’t have office). … OK the good news is it happens on the VAR system fonts too. Hopefully a bug with my version of InDesign (15.1.2)

I have the same issue. But it does not appear with fonts produced outside of Glyphs, that also have custom values.
And if I remove the values, the issue remains.

It indeed is resolved in newer versions of Adobe CC.