Update Error: Glyphs won't update

It gives the same result:

I have the same problem.
I receive this message every time I click on “Review for Updates”:
There has been an error in data retrieval. please try again later

and I can not access this address.
https://updates.glyphsapp.com
I tried Different browsers / different internet connections and even VPNs.
With the same network connection, the above address is accessible on my mobile!

Hi Ebrahim,

I’m the one taking care of the Glyphs website. Maybe you (or/and others with the same issue) can help me find the problem.

If you know how to use the Command Line/Terminal.app, could you try the following commands and post the output to this thread:

1. Ping the server

ping updates.glyphsapp.com

2. Check HTTP Headers

curl -I https://updates.glyphsapp.com/latest2.php

3. Troubleshoot DNS

dig updates.glyphsapp.com

Thanks!

1 Like

https://glyphsapp.com does not open in my browser. By activating the VPN, I open it.
In my country some sites are blocked by filtering, but it’s unlikely that your site has been filtered!
https://updates.glyphsapp.com/Glyphs2.6.1-1225.html does not open in my browser. Even with vpn

ping updates.glyphsapp.com (vpn has been enabled)

PING updates.glyphsapp.com (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.044 ms

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.093 ms

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.109 ms

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.096 ms

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.094 ms

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.053 ms

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.088 ms

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.093 ms

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=0.096 ms

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=0.092 ms

64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.096 ms

Um, 127.0.0.1 is localhost, meaning the computer you’re running the ping command on. So, it sounds like there’s something overriding the normal DNS lookup for updates.glyphsapp.com on your mac or the other end of the vpn, or a DNS resolver.

(vpn enabled):
; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> updates.glyphsapp.com

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 21080

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:

; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;updates.glyphsapp.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

updates.glyphsapp.com. 3600 IN A 172.104.142.40

;; Query time: 407 msec

;; SERVER: 10.255.255.2#53(10.255.255.2)

;; WHEN: Fri May 10 02:06:30 +0430 2019

;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 87

May I have run an application that has blocked my access to this address?
How can I find it?
https://updates.glyphsapp.com Opens on my Windows Pc and Android mobile (that are all connected to same network.)

The dig DNS results look correct, though. That 172.104.142.40 address is what one expects for updates.glyphsapp.com right now. That’s what I’d have expected to see instead of 127.0.0.1 in your ping command run.

Sometimes ad/tracking blockers will have those kind of DNS override mappings to localhost.

Did you ever install something like MacKeeper, antivirus tools or system optimizers? Get rid of them, please. They are not needed on a Mac and are known to cause more trouble than they solve.

Maybe the VPN software is interfering?

Can you try to use 1.1.1.1 as your DNS server?

I do not use ad / tracking blocker app or extension!

I installed the CleanMyMac app. But the problem was not solved by uninstalling it.

I used 1.1.1.1 as a DNS server, used different browsers, used a different VPN, but failed :frowning:
I am now confident that there is something on the Mac that prevents connection to your server. But I do not know how to find it

The solution is to reset your hosts file
Do it as explained in this tutorial, scroll down to How to reset your Mac’s Hosts file

feedback your result.

That is an interesting idea. Can you send us the ‘hosts’ file?

@GeorgSeifert
It’s merely a plain text file for connections. mostly the same in Mac and Win.
Using 3rd Party apps that prevent Updates Cause the problem.

Sample:

##

# Host Database

#

# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface

# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.

##

127.0.0.1 localhost

255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

::1 localhost

1 Like

thank you
The problem was solved.
The reason for the problem was this text line in hosts file:
27.0.0.1 updates.glyphsapp.com

2 Likes

The reason is that people pirate lots of software–sometime like Glyphs–and, like almost every other piece of cracked software, they rely on editing the hosts file to prevent the software from verifying itself. I am betting a million bucks that people with this error tried to crack a previous version of Glyphs and permanently modified their hosts file.

As Ebrahim posted above, he had the entry 27.0.0.1 updates.glyphsapp.com in his hosts file.

There is NO reason for that entry to be in his hosts file unless he pirated a previous version of the software. That is literally the only reason to modify your hosts file in terms of software, and since cracks do it automatically, most people won’t understand why they can’t connect.

The problem is ‘helper’ tools that monitor network connections of apps and offer to suppress or prevent network access. A handful of tools offer to block sites and when the user confirms, make such an entry in the hosts file. This does not say much about the motivations of the user yet. Concern, or overconcern, about privacy may be one of them just as well.

1 Like