Update Glyph Info seems to break my custom list filter

I’ve got the following glyphs in my typeface:


When I use Update Glyph Info and view with my custom list filter, arrownorthwest, arrownortheast, arrowsoutheast, and arrowsouthwest all disappear, even though they’re included in the list of glyph names for that filter. I have to close the file and reopen with a standard list filter to see them again. What am I doing wrong?



There is nothing in the search field at the bottom right?

No, but I think I may have fixed this. Looks like the command changed, for instance, arrownorthwest to arrowupright. I need to update the list of glyph names in the custom list filter.

This makes me wonder what other glyphs have disappeared in the custom list filter view because their names no longer match those listed in the filter. If I’ve figured this out correctly, is there any fix for this you know of, or do I need to print out the two glyph lists and hunt thru them looking for discrepancies?

Thanks, and thanks for responding so quickly!

Ah, I see. The list filters only store the names. And it doesn’t happen very often, but it does happen occasionally that the internal glyph data gets updated (or that you roll your own) for whatever reason. Sometimes we streamline glyph names, sometimes we fix a typo, etc. And when you update glyph info (via the Font menu), a situation like this may occur.

Update glyph info and see if the list filters show missing glyphs (through their number badge or context menu).

According to the context menu, about 70 glyphs were renamed and therefore go missing when I use my custom list filter. (Most of them are unicode-number names that got converted into Nice Names; others are custom-made names like Euro.salt for which no unicode values exist.) The context menu shows me the list, though there doesn’t seem to be any way for me to copy it into a text file so that I can start figuring out what old names correspond to what new names. I’m hoping I don’t have to write all these down by hand, and then look them up one by one.

I’m in the process of porting all my projects from FL to Glyphs, so I hope there’s a smarter way to do this than I’ve thought of.

You can get a lost of all missing glyphs by first add a color to all glyphs, then generate all missing (you might need to set the “Don’t use nice names” in Font Info > Other settings). then make a filter that shows all glyphs with no color, select them all and choose “Copy Glyph Names” from the context menu.

The Euro glyph is renamed to euro (all other currency glyphs have lower case names, so I adapted it).

And maybe you do not need all of the list filters if you get used to the categories and languages filter in the sidebar.

Thanks for the suggestion, Georg. I’ve already worked my way thru most of this by making a list of numerical unicode-based glyph names, looking them up, then searching my font to see what Glyphs had renamed them. This cleaned up the majority of problems. Hopefully the revised list filter I produced can be used to help me bring other FL projects into Glyphs a bit more gracefully.

One issue was that Nice Names changed ‘guillemot’ to the non-AGLFN-compliant ‘guillemet’. Not sure why this change is an improvement.

And Copy Glyph Names in the context menu is a helpful thing to know about. Thanks again.

Guillemet is renamed to the compliant, but nevertheless wrong guillemot when the font is exported. The French quotes actually are called guillemets, guillemots are birds.

What you also could do, is copy the glyph names from the List Filter over to a TextEdit document, and rename them with an OS X System Service, then copy the updated glyph names back to the List Filter. More details here:


Dang. This is a great feature, Erich. Wish I knew about it before I redid the list by hand.

Well, live and learn. Thanks!