Use an External File for Contextual Kerning

Hello. The parameters Replace Feature or Add Feature in order to edit the kerning for each instance still don’t work, even in 3.2. Was this fixed?

1 Like

Hello again! I was wondering if you were still planning to implement this possibility of optimizing kerning on instances through an external .fea file? It is a recurrent need and it is a shame that it only works on Glyphs 2. If not, would you have any suggestion on Glyphs 3 to do the same kind of kerning corrections? Thanks!

Have you tried the beta version of 3.2?

1 Like

Thanks for your answer! Yes, I just tried to do it again with the last cutting edge version. For me it still doesn’t work.

What exactly have you tried?

The operation described in this topic: Having an external .fea file next to the Glyphs file with custom kerning ( Ex: pos A B 200; in a lookup). In the Font Info > Features: Having an empty prefix (called “Private”) and an empty “kern” feature. Then in the Font Info > Exports, in the targetted export, a custom parameter “Replace Prefix” with

Private;
include(file.fea);

and a custom parameter “Replace Feature” with

kern;
lookup mylookup;

This works in Glyphs 2 (the corrected kerning makes it to the .fea file in the temp folder and overwrite the values I wanted to optimize in the final export. But in Glyphs3 it doesn’t make it to the temp folder nor in the export.

What version of Glyphs do you have? Can you try the latest cutting edge version? Activate it in Preferences > Updates.

Yes, I tried with the last cuting edge : 3.2 (3207). It still doesn’t work.

Can you send me the files?