Using external editor for OpenType Scripting?

Hello,

I’m brand new to Glyphs and was wondering if it is possible to write OpenType Features for a Font in an external editor like sublime and connect it to the font?

Kind Regards,
Sepp

Only via copy and paste.

Depending on how much you want and can tinker with Python, you could write a script that automates the process.

And you could edit the features file in the Temp folder, and regenerate, but that, I believe, has too many disadvantages.

This could be a nice feature. Also, in my case, I’m trying to maintain only one file and export to pro and std versions. I think would be very useful to load std features files instead of replacing all the features.

Best Regards.

Currently this could be done with a Python script.

there is a “Replace Feature” custom parameter in the instance settings. Or use the “Remove/Rename Glyphs” and rely on the automatic feature code generator. In this case the features will be re-generated on export for the reduces/changed character set.
So you duplicate the instances, add a “familyName” parameter with a “Std” suffix, add a “Remove Glyphs” parameter. And for the manually written features, either use a “Remove Feature” or “Replace Feature” custom parameter.

@mekkablue Someone has made this script?
@GeorgSeifert Now, I’m using a method similar to described for you, I was thinking to add the Replace Feature parameter. I will give it a try.

Thanks both.

Hi @GeorgSeifert How does “Replace Feature” custom parameter work?

Do I need to type all feature file:

aalt{
  feature locl;
  feature c2sc;
  feature smcp;
};
liga {
 sub f i by fi;
}

or do I need to follow the syntax of other custom parameters?:

aalt: feature locl; feature c2sc; feature smcp;

The same question for Replace Class custom parameter.

Thanks

Forget it, I just saw https://glyphsapp.com/blog/new-features-in-glyphs-2-1