Variable Font doesn't interpolate properly

I have a typeface with two axes, weight and width.
With five masters: Light Condensed (we 200/wi 75), Light Extended (200/125), Regular (400/100), Black Condensed (700/75) & Black Extended (700/125).

When I export as VF the left part of the sliders doesn’t work and the interpolación seems to stretch in the right section. Also, the regular instance is not in its place.

If I delete the regular master, the interpolation seems to be ok, but I need the master to have the right shapes.

Any idea of what to do?

You need some kind of rectangular arrangement, that is why removing the middle master makes it work better. Try to insert masters at 400/75 & 400/125 or at 200/100 & 700/100. (You can do that by placing instances there and then add them as master via the Plus menu in Font info > Instances.)

Thanks for your answer, Reiner!

So, for a VF enviroment every master has to be around an empty rectangle with an opposite máster on the other axis (or dividing it into smaller rectangles)?
Only in Glyphs or this is for every app?

You can get away without opposite masters. Most simple 2-dimensional setup is:

|
|

The problem is that the deltas are not really clear if you have a setup like this:

|  |  |
|--*--|
|• |  |

Which masters should the instance at take into account? Multiple triangles/rectangles between the masters are possible.

It is always clear if you do it like this:

|  |  |
|  |  |
|• |  |
1 Like

I think I got It. Any instance should be inside a rectangle, not a mix of rectangles and triangles.

Thanks you very much!