Variable font not exporting Light

I’ve had one more idea, you could try adding a custom parameter “Axis Location” to each of your Exports, and give it the same number value as shown in the “Weight Class” field.

I added the Axis location, and it added the Light but it’s still showing an extra Regular.

You only opened four font files but get an install window with five option?

You may need to add a variable font setting, call it “Italic”.

Yes @FlorianPircher I installed 4 fonts and it’s showing 5

@mekkablue Could you explain exactly where I would add that

Use the + button at the bottom left of the Exports tab:

1 Like

It’s still not showing all the weights & Italics in Photoshop. It should have 8 fonts in total and I’m seeing 5 .

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 14.34.17

Would you mind sending me the file, too? You can do so here via PM.

1 Like

Alright, I had a look at the file and ran into the same issue – it’s hard to say where exactly it occurs, but it has something to do with the variable font origin. The instance that has the same coordinate(s) as the variable font origin (the Light master in your case) receives a new instance name “Regular”, or whatever else you define in your variable font setting. To an extent, this makes sense, as the style name of your variable font is Regular, and this optically is represented by the Light, so it makes sense that it is not called Light.

To fix this, simply do the following:

Add a new variable font setting. Set the name of the instance to whatever you want the instance at your variable font origin to be called – if you set your variable font origin to Light, name your variable font setting Light, accordingly.

Bonus: Add a parameter to the General section of your variable font setting: Localized (Localised!:uk: ) Family Name. Enter something like “Engrace Variable”. This way, you can install your variable font and the static instances side by side.

Otherwise, it would be good to check the settings of your metrics (ascender, cap height, x height, descender), as well as their zones. The ascender is on some other planet :slight_smile:

Haha my ascender is on some other planet :slight_smile: I set it that high so I can fit the diacritics in.

Thanks for taking a look but that did not fix it for me.
Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 17.09.20

Yes, in Font Info > Exports, add a Variable Font Setting:

In the Italic file, you do the same, but call it Light Italic. Then export, and it even sorts them correctly:

Hints:

• Do not call your regular-weight italic ‘Regular Italic’, but rather ‘Italic’.
  • For potential static font exports, fix your style linking: see the Naming tutorial (does not matter for variable fonts).
1 Like

Boom! It worked. Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it :slight_smile:
@FlorianPircher @mekkablue @GeorgSeifert @jkutilek @SCarewe

1 Like