Variable font not variabling but static interpolations working

I’ve been working on a simple variable feature in a design, but for some reason the variable axis (mainly in Adobe apps, since that’s the user group targeted) isn’t working. When the variable element of the type is exported solo, it works fine, but when exported as a full glyph it remains static. It does interpolate fine though, when exported as static instances.

I thought it perhaps has to do with the bezier count, but with other projects I’ve been able to “variable” even more complex drawings.

I’ve also tried removing elements from the glyph, and see if a working variable function can be linked to another element in the glyph, but had no succes so far: it has no relation to a certain outline or certain point as far as I can tell.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

If the outlines are compatible, the problem is most likely with the axes setup. Check the ‘Axes’ parameter and the coordinates of all masters.

And what version of Glyphs do you have?

I’ve run an update for 2.5b. I first thought it was an axis problem as well, But I also tried transferring a single glyph to a variable-test file I usually use for quick proof-of-concept tries.

The file has one experiment in it which works perfectly, but a glyph taken from the design with issues is unresponsive. I’m sure it has something to do with the contours in some way, but haven’t been able to find out what causes the issue. (I’ve tried removing nodes, but the moment the glyph actually does become responsive seems to vary.)

I’ve been testing over the weekend, but so far ran into even more variables. One glyph works after readjusting the nodes, but I haven’t been able to replicate this. Node count doesn’t seem to affect the issue, and it’s even the more complicated test glyph which works.

Add at least one instance (that actually interpolates) to trigger the compatibility check. Then use the “Show Master Compatibly” reporter from the View menu.

When I found out the interpolation wasn’t working (but all settings were correct, and individual static interpolations created proper, usable files) I moved a few glyphs to a testing file (which included other functional variable glyphs). The glyphs which were already variable kept on going fine, but the added glyphs remain static.

Could you send me the file?

I’m having the very same issue, using wght and opsz as variables. Exporting each one solo works and as a duo, doesn’t work.

In which application does the issue happen? For me it was Adobe having bugs in their apps, hence it wasn’t working. On line testing (axis-praxis, wakamaifondue) showed all was well with the font though.