Would you be able to detail your setup a bit more? I can either write a UI script for you to choose a master each time (more flexible and useful in the future), or a script that works specifically and only for your project (a lot faster to write). Here, or DM
I assume the second, but the first seems to work for a few first, superficial tests. Would that cause problems, especially for variable fonts? (Similar to the problem, that when a Regular master does not exist, and hence the variable font “Regular” named instance will show the Medium, when that is closer to the drawn master – and which is the reason we added a 4th master to the normal width now. But for our condensed, 4 masters are really overkill)
You don’t need an “equal” number. But you have to follow a certain structure. There are two types of masters. Full masters (sometimes called on axis). Those need to form a rectangle structure that starts from the origin masters. You might leave out masters that are on the opposite site from the origin. So for a “Regular” origin, you can have a “Bold” and a “Condensed” but the “Bold Condensed” could be left out. So you can have three masters.
Then are “free” masters. Those can be anywhere in the space and are applied on top of the rest of the interpolation. The algorithm to find those is currently a bit limited. I added a method to manually make masters “free”. But that will be only available in a future version.
In your first example, all the masters in the middle would need to be free masters (because of the missing “200/200” master. But that would probably produce some unexpected results as the interaction of those free masters can be tricky to set up correctly.
Do you really need the four masters on the “200” width? If so, adding one more at “200/200” would make the space stable and defining the other two as “free” gives you the control you need. And it might be possible to only add those as brace layers in the glyphs that really need them.
It seems we need 4 masters at least in the"200" width, as the weight range is rather extreme. Every step we take to add/remove/adjust masters need to be carefully considered, as the Hangeul smart layers multiply the additional work exponentially.
In our case it is rather not the question if we would add the 200/200 – the four normal width masters are kind of set in stone by now, but if we add the “100/150” and “100/300” (width/weight). And I think that’s what we will go for now.
We now made some more tests with the existing condensed masters and it seems we can get convincing results by changing the condensed instance locations instead in order to get the desired gradual change over weights.
I take it is possible but that it’s rather not recommended to apply example one. Too experimental and also might cause too much headaches on the long run dealing with the file.