VariableFonts id4

Hi Guys,

When exporting variable fonts, the name ends up as “Fontname Regular” instead of just “FontName”.

Also: For the Italics I need to maintain a separate source file, just to be able to add italic to the name, example: “Fontname ITALIC”
It will be nice if we can generate both versions “single files” and “GX” from the same set of source files.

Source files available at GitHub - impallari/Libre-Franklin: Libre Franklin Fonts

You are right. I’ll change it.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that the Mac ID4 for all non-variable fonts also now has the ‘Regular’ added to the ‘FontName’ in 2.4. Previously Mac ID4 ‘FontName’ had no ‘Regular’ appended but other weights did have a weight assigned.

A quick check of the name table in OTM highlights this as a potential issue, which I’m aware is probably lagging behind the latest specs:

I’m curious about how/why ‘Regular’ was added to ID4 in 2.4? I’m guessing maybe as part of the OT1.8 standards? makeotf?

I’m also curious. OT1.9 standard still suggesting it without Regular: Name string examples (OpenType 1.9) - Typography | Microsoft Docs

I just had a look at the spec again. It says that you can omit “Regular” if the style name is already in the family name (if you build from id1+2). But if id17 is “Regular”, you can most certainly keep it.