Version custom parameter does not override all name records

When using the Version custom parameter in an export (either as a custom parameter or the Version field in General) not all name records are updated to reflect the change. The record below retains the version from Font Info.

<namerecord nameID="3" platformID="3" platEncID="1" langID="0x409">

This is occurring in Glyphs 3.1 (3133)

is there an update on this? I do have the same problem.

I am re-releasing an Upgrade of an existing typeface soon (Version 2), at the same time I will release a matching Condensed (Version 1). Both typefaces are within one file. The Custom Parameter “Version” within the intances does not overwrite the Version set within the Font Info.

I just checked, this is indeed not working correctly. To be exact, the NameID 5 simply takes the value from the Version custom parameter (e.g. “1.005” instead of “Version 1.005”), and the NameID 3 (unique font identifier) is not written with the correct version string.

For the time being, you can add a custom parameter Name Table Entry to every instance you want to modify, with the following value:

3; 1.005;IDLT;FamilyNameCnd-Regular

Suggestion: The exported font should contain “Version x.xxx” in the Version String (ID 5) field and the ID 3 should be written correctly based on the Version custom parameter. The name of the parameter is confusing. The way it is currently implemented, it should be called “Version String”.

@SCarewe, do you have a sample font?

Sure, any font file I have has the same issue.

Set 2.000 as the version in Font Info > Font.
Set a custom instance parameter Version in an instance, set it to 1.000.

The exported instance will read “2.000;UKNW; Myfamily-Regular” in Name ID 3, but “1.005” in Name ID 5.

Ideally, ID 5 should read “Version 1.0005”, since the normally exported font would read “Version 2.000”.

The “Version” in Instance > General (and not custom parameters) could be called Version string. Normally you would out it something like “My custom verison: %d.%03d” (with a format string to get the numbers from font > version. If you need a different version number, you need to manually set all places that contains that number.

Yes, I agree that it should be called Version String following the behaviour it produces.

Then, however, another custom parameter Version would be very important, in order to be able to set the version for the generated NameID 3, for example.

Ideally, I would just like to have the Version parameter where I enter the version number (such as 2.000), this then automatically generates the correct version string and unique font identifier.