Vertical Metrics in MyFonts

Hello Guys!

I am Franco Jonas and i graphic designer and typedesigner from Chile.

I am doing this post because im having problems with the font that im trying to submit in MyFonts. The problems that myfonts shows me are about “Vertical Metrics” (attached picture) and i’ve seen that this error has happened to others.

I’ve seen different Glyphs tutorials and also the manual, and the configuration of my Vertical Metrics seemed to be ok, however, MyFonts keeps me showing this error.

This is the message that MyFonts shows me.
«Vertical metrics will not result in clipping on Windows
We’ve tested your fonts to ensure that when used on Windows, the ascenders and descenders will not appear clipped or cut off. It is good practice to ensure that your vertical metrics also accommodate your diacritics.»

I’ll let you some screenshots of the error and also the information of the font file.

I hope i can find help here, because i am desperate.

Thank you

Best,
Franco

Clipping on Windows is controlled by the winAscent and winDescent parameters. As far as I can tell, the winDescent should be a positive number (258, not -258). You might want to install the Show Vertical Metrics plugin from the Plugin Manager so you can visually check what’s going on.

1 Like

Thanks for you answer Henrique. I just installed the plugin, but, the new error now is
«All fonts in the same family should have consistent vertical metrics.
Field name: ascent»

Do you know what is it about?.

Best,
Franco

The second message means that you should have the same metrics in all masters.

Use Font Info > Vertical Metrics Manager In the mekkablue scripts: https://github.com/mekkablue/Glyphs-Scripts/

And read the Vertical Metrics tutorial. Look for the Webfont Method.

I have the same Vertical Metrics in all Masters. :frowning:

I try to follow your instructions, but the error stills remain :/.
I can’t find answers to this.

Also, a other friends and work colleagues. I have the file available for who wants to check it

Thanks Rainer and George

What are your vertical metrics?

My Vertical Metrics is

Ascender: 750
Height Uppercase: 675
X-Height: 490
Descender: -250

These are my metrics in all my masters.
Before, my Black master had different values ​​and I followed @GeorgSeifert instruction, because of the message that MyFonts threw at me. But now, tells me:

We’ve tested your fonts to ensure that when used on Windows, the ascenders and descenders will not appear clipped or cut off. It is good practice to ensure that your vertical metrics also accommodate your diacritics.

MyFonts keeps sending me that message despite we have fixed all the details that you guys told me.

Best

Please read the Vertical Metrics tutorial, and follow the Webfont Method to set your winAscent/Descent, typoAscender/Descender/LineGap, and hheaAscender/Descender/LineGap values. Let me know which values you get.

The mekkablue script Font Info > Vertical Metrics Manager can help you find good values quickly.

It’s what I just did haha. I leave my data because again, I am not able to understand the error.

hhea and sTypo descenders should be negative. (Did the update buttons cause these values? Please send me the font if so.) Update the win values to make sure there is no clipping. Otherwise the values are OK.

I sent you a inbox message :slight_smile: