Virtual masters -- can only make a couple of letter work in Illustrator

Virtual masters or “braced layer” only work for a couple of letters in Illustrator – the rest of the letters won’t budge. And how can I effect the style-name sort order?

/ktkm

Multiple Master family export or Variable Font?
How many axes?
Can you describe (or add a screenshot of) the brace layer arrangement in a glyph that does not work?
Which app version?

Variable font, two axes, Version 2.5.1 (1141). The brace layers works fine in Axis-Praxis but only partially in Illustrator.
/l works /h does not.

Please update to the latest cutting edge version. To do so, enable both checkboxes in Glyphs > Preferences > Updates and click the Update button.

I made the update, but the strange behavior persists.

Can you send me the .glyphs file please to support (at) (this domain). I will have a look.

I’ll send it in a minute …

As far as I can tell, your font is fine, I assume it is a bug in AI.

I suspected it, thank you Erich!

I have almost the same problem. Did you find a way to fix it?
I also did a few brace tricks but the problem appears on letters that aren’t braced.
No pbs for me neither on Axis-praxis, only on Illustrator. When I export in otf the letters are fine.
It only appears on the b, d, h and k (and p, q but for now they are components fronm b and d), I have no clue why. I tried to rebuild the letters from scratch but nothing changed…

Can you send me the .glyphs file please to support (at) (this website without www). I will have a look.

Just sent it. Thank you

No luck as of yet. Please let me know if you solve it. :slight_smile: /ktkm

1 Like

I did not get your email. Can you try again, or DM it to me in this forum?

Sorry I put the wrong adress. Should be good now.

The problem is solved now. I found why it happened but don’t really understand the logic, probably a problem from Illustrator as you said before.

In the font, I had already set three axes that I wanted to add in the future : ascender, descender and cap height (which I called nordness) / x-height / width. But at this stage I only had two master created, variating the nordness (with a high x-height and a condensed width).
I just created the “low x-height” masters and now the letters works fine in Illustrator, even when the x-height is set high as initially. The width axis is still unused though, but doesn’t seem problematic.

@ktkm maybe do you have the same kind of unused axes in your font ?

I could recreate the issue in AI. If it works in the browsers (and it did), it is most likely a bug in AI.