Windows Family name

I see that GlyphsApp is doing some concatenating and then “shrinking” of the Windows Family Name when the instance has a style other than the main 4 (Regular, Italic, Bold, Bold Italic). So for example, with a font family name of “My Oh So Wonderful Font”, and a style of “Condensed Black”, I get:
Windows Family: "My Oh So Wonderful Font Cond Black"
Windows Style “Regular”

So the Condensed become Cond, but the length still exceeds the Windows 31 character limit and I cannot install it.

I see according to this: http://docu.glyphsapp.com/#windowsFamily that we have we have a custom parameter available to the Python interface, but apparently not in the Instance panel. I’m now wondering…
A. Is there a plan to add this to the GUI?
B. What is the algorithm you use to truncate the string currently?

The custom parameter “styleMapFamilyName” is used to set the Windows Family Name in the UI.

The name of the parameter is not very descriptive. But styleMapFamilyName “My Oh So Wonderful Font Cond Black” sets the Windows Family Name to be just that.

The Mac Family Name and the Typographic Family Name remain untouched by the parameter.

1 Like

I’m probably asking for the impossible, but is there a way to get two OTFs sharing a “Happy Family” two-word family name recognized separately in the Windows 10 font listing? I believe I’ve set the styleMapFamilyName parameter correctly under Instances, and am checking other records in OTM, but one of the fonts obscures the other.

I don’t understand your question. What exactly do you want to achieve?

One is “Happy Family Regular”, the other is “Happy Family Nonstandard”. If possible, I’d like to generate the two OTFs to be Windows-friendly-ish; which means I can install, view them installed, and have accessible to desktop apps, etc. “Nonstandard” is styled as Bold currently. Not sure if this can be accomplished through setting names somehow in Glyphs, or if other strategies are warranted.

If you set “Nonstandard” as the bold of “Regular”, then it will not show up in the Word font menu. People will have to know that they need to click the B button to access it.

The OTFs are working better at this point. I was able to see the “Nonstandard” weight as an option in Word, and now appreciate that the obscured listing is a feature.