Windows style linking question

Hello,

Against better judgement I got myself involved in a Windows style link hack issue.

This is the case:
Client has a single style ttf that has to appear in Windows font menus with short family name My Font Medium. Client does not want apps to make a faux bold when activating the B button.

My proposed hack:
Duplicate this style and name it My Font Medium Bold, and style link it to My Font Medium Regular.

Should be simple right? Windows 10 disagrees.
I thought I had this set up correct, but after installing the fonts only the Regular style shows in the Fonts directory and apps create a faux bold.

I’m attaching some screenshots of my set up in Glyphs, as well as an overview of the naming of the TTF’s opened in OTMaster.

Maybe someone reading this can spot a mistake?

Can you try without the Medium in the font name?

Tried that and that works, but ideally it should be in the short family name.

In theory it shouldn’t be an issue to have a weight indication in the short family name. I have seen examples of that with Adobe fonts. E.g. Myriad Pro Light was style linked to the SemiBold weight in Windows.

Does it make a difference when you set the “Has WWS Names” custom parameter on the fonts?

That was the solution Jens! Many thanks!

Do you have an idea why this solved it? With short family name My Font it worked without this parameter, but apparently adding Medium to the short family name broke it.

My understanding is the WWS bit turns off an algorithm that tries to guess more about the font’s attributes by interpreting the family name, and in that algorithm words like Medium and Light are triggers.

2 Likes