Adding a texture layer

So I’ve created my font in a clean version and I now want to add some internal textures to each letter. What is the best way of doing this without just duplicating the font? As I want to be able to edit the kerning, spacing, etc.

Link here shows the example of the texture I want to apply.
http://d.pr/i/1dWA9

2 Likes

You can use the background. It is probably possible to add the BG to the FG with a custom parameter for LayerGeek.

you should duplicate the master (and all layers with it). I plan to implement sync metrics and kerning for this kinds of layer fonts. But I don’t know when I find time to do it.

Thanks. Is that something a novice can do?

Yes. Download and install LayerGeek, keep your textures in the backgrounds, then add a Filter custom parameter to your textured instance, and give it this value:

LayerGeek;background.contentToBackgroundCheckSelection_keepOldBackground_(False,True);correctPathDirection

Then, export. If it doesn’t work with Filter, try Prefilter.

Cheers, will give it a go.

Basically I want to do the same as @ianbarnard, one »clean« instance plus another »textured« instance of the same font.

So I followed @mekkablue’s advice, and it works inside glyphsapp [2.6 (1192)] when I open LayerGeek and execute it, but there’s no visible result when exporting an »textured« instance with the same code as Filter or PreFilter custom parameter. Does anybody know how to handle this?

Try the latest beta please. Go to Glyphs > Preferences > Updates, activate both checkboxes and press the Update button.

Unfortunately still not working with the latest version (1240).

Can you please send me the .glyphs file to support (at) (this website without www). I will have a look.