Adding Ink Splatters in Style Set

Hey guys

I’m working on a script font, to which I’d like to add ink splatters with a certain style set. They’re assigned to a few discretionary ligatures, but instead of duplicating the ligatures and adding the splatters, I only make the splatters and give the style set the following code:
“sub C_r by C_r splat25.ss08;”

These ‘splat’-glyphs have 0 width value, and negative LSB and/or RSB, so they don’t interrupt the spacing of the letter sequence, and as you can see in the screenshot that I took on Dinamo Font Gauntlet, it works perfectly fine. However, in Illustrator it fails (yet, again). Meaning; the ligatures shows, but not the style set splatters.

Question #1: Maybe my method is farfetched or cumbersome? Is my approach completely wrong? And if so, are there any good reads/instructions about creating this in Glyphs 3?

Question #2: I know you can’t fix any of Adobe’s issues, but given the fact that a lot of designers work with Illustrator, how can I offer these fonts, if they don’t even work?
When finished, I’d like to put it up for sale, but to what degree can one be taken accountable for software incompatibility?

Thanks in advance, Kristof

#1:

I think a width of 0 should suffice, no need for negative LSB/RSB.

#2:

Thanks, Florian :raised_hands:
Still doesn’t make too much sense to me, but at least it works :man_shrugging:t2: