Adjusting width and spacing on export

Question: I have an extensive family I need to open up a bit in the lighter weights. To avoid line breaks for existing users, I plan to condense it very slightly too. So, I’m wondering what the best way to do this is.

If I add a few parameters on export - say, +5 each side on the side bearings (which I assume will correspond exactly to adding +10 tracking in Indesign?) and reduce the width 97%, where do I do this - in the “Custom Parameter” window in “Instances” (of which there are many) or in the “Custom Parameter” window in Masters?

Can I do this and be confident that there will be no unexpected movement of components (in other words, are the parameters applied after or before the font has been decomposed), requiring me to open and check every exported font?

This method seems easier than selecting all the glyphs and applying it via Transformations in the font window.

Thanks Rainer, Georg.

You can add a Filter parameter. Get the value from the Transform Filter.
I used that for my last project and didn’t have problems with it.

Thanks for the fast reply, Georg. That’s what I plan to do - copy it from the Transform filer using the cog. Could you let me know what the difference adding the parameter in “instances” or “masters” or “font” is? Logically, I’m guessing it will do the same thing in each case, just more specifically or generally – but I recall asking a similar question before and finding that adding the parameter only worked in “instance”, not “master”. Is this right?

Also, could you let me know if the transformation is applied after the font has been decomposed? Applying it by selecting all glyphs in the Font window and applying a transformation may move an accent and a base character, so decomposing them first is a sure way to avoid repeated transformations because of components.

It will be applied in a way that component are fine (I would need to check the code about what comes first).