Alternative final forms are not suggested in InDesign’s glyphs palette

Hi there,
I am working on a font with four variations for each letter. Often, I use the Glyphs palette to select the alternative versions. This works with regular n’s. However, when selecting a final form, I do not get the other three versions of the final letters offered in the palette, just the regular n’s and the first variation of initial n’s.

I wondered if anybody else encountered the issue and maybe found a solution or had a suggestion.

Could this be a naming issue?
The naming is n.fina.ss01, n.fina.ss02 etc.

Could this be an issue with InDesign?

Anyhow - Thank you for taking the time to look into this.
Best,
H

Does the substitution work in apps such as fontgauntlet.com?

If so, are you sure you’re using the latest exports? Are you using the Adobe Fonts folder? Testing your fonts in Adobe apps | Glyphs

In order to appear in the glyph palette, a glyph needs to appear in a one-to-one substitution, and the feature needs to be listed in aalt.

The glyph n.fina.ss02 is, for example, mentioned in the Stylistic Set 2 as sub n.fina by n.fina.ss02;
And feature ss02; is then listed in aalt
But the glyph (i.e. n.fina.ss02) is not listed in the InDesign glyphs palette as an alternative to n (may it be n or n.fina or n.fina.ss03 or n.init)

Did you consult the resources I mentioned?

Thank you for your message @SCarewe - I use Font Book to install the fonts, the adobe Folder thing is a bit too buggy for me. Since I use individual names that worked fine for me so far. I don’t think it is a caching error.

I am not sure what you mean with fontgauntlet.com? - My issue is that InDesign randomly does not list Glyphs that are in the font and “should” match the Alternative for selection filter in the InDesign Glyphs Window.

:slight_smile: Maybe this helps to clarify my issue. Here is a screenshot of the behavior of the InDesign Glyph Window with “Alternates for Selection” activated. It shows nine glyphs but should show 12 (or at least 11). Please note that it displays the .fina glyph variations but not the .init variations—when choosing a different Glyph, the .fina variations are sometimes not displayed, and the .init variations are displayed or none of them.

The next screenshot shows InDesign’s glyphs window with the filter deactivated (all 12 versions of lowercase o are displayed):

So the issue I have is with the filter of InDesign’s glyphs window “Alternates for selection” - how can I change the font to display all variations of a letter and not just randomly some…

:pray:
Thank you so much for your time and effort.

The InDesign glyph palette only lists alternates that are accessed by features listed in aalt.

Thanks, @mekkablue, for the reply. I’ve set aalt to “generate feature automatically.” I looked a bit deeper into InDesign’s behavior. Here are two examples with screenshots to clarify my issue.

The font has 12 versions per lowercase letter:

• 4x .init
  • 4x .fina
  • 4x “regular” (ss00-ss03))

When I select a .fina version of a glyph (i.e., “o.fina”), InDesign shows me nine alternatives in the Glyphs window

• 4x o.fina
  • 4x o.ss00-ss03
  • 1x o.init

When I select a “regular” version of a glyph (i.e., “o”), InDesign shows me six alternatives in the Glyphs window

• 4x o.ss00-ss03
  • 1x o.init
  • 1x o.fina

In the second case, InDesign seemed to show only one version of .fina and not display further variations of .fina.

I would like to see all 12 glyphs in the “alternates for selection” filter. Is there a way to accomplish this through Glyphs?

:pray:
Thanks!

It only collects direct one-to-one substitutions (no contextual substitutions as far as I remember), and then it makes an informed guess on the selection it shows. The further rationale is proprietary to the software. You can influence it by (also) listing glyphs in one-to-one substitutions, e.g. cvXX features. Further than that you have no influence.