Arabic font generation issue

Hello,

As I’m testing my new arabic typeface, i found out a problem with the generation of some letters

U+0649 alefMaksura-ar should connect like this ىىىىى
but this is how it is

i thought that it would have worked as
dotlessbeh-ar.init+dotlessbeh-ar.medi+alefMaksura-ar.fina
but that didn’t happen
same problem with noonghunna-ar & dotlessqaf-ar

I wanna know why is this happening and could it be a problem from my side?!

You can add alefMaksura-ar.init and alefMaksura-ar.medi. Then it will work. Those two glyphs are called ARABIC LETTER UIGHUR KAZAKH KIRGHIZ ALEF MAKSURA INITIAL FORM in Unicode. So I suspect that they are not used in regular Arabic. You can add both glyph and Glyphs will know that it needs to use components of the dotlessbeh.
There noonghunna does not connect and the dotlessqaf-ar is not even include in regular Arabic fonts. So I think the behavior is fine.

Thank you so much on your feedback
about noon ghunnah and dotless qaf i thought the same that this behaviour is normal but i tested other fonts and this is how it shows there

and these fonts are high quality fonts made by professional typedesigners that i would use them as a reference too
what do you think the solution to this could be?

Hello Georg
I know you must be busy but according to the Unicode standard
both dotless qaf, noon ghunna, even heh goal with hamza above should be dual connecting letters

066F; DOTLESS QAF; D; QAF
06BA; DOTLESS NOON; D; NOON
06C2; HEH GOAL WITH HAMZA ABOVE; D; HEH GOAL

what do you think can be the solution to this?

I think i just got it figured out,
i simply manually added the glyphs by hand
uni0649.init, uni0649.medi
uni066F.init, uni066F.medi
uni06BA.init, uni06BA.medi
uni06C2.init, uni06C2.medi

and now it works fine, but should it be added by default to the default grids in the components & urdu?

I had suggested just that.

The question is for what languages this glyphs are needed. I didn’t find information about then in the usual places. They all have a unicode but don’t seem to be wildly used.
And you should use their nice names.

alefMaksura-ar.init, alefMaksura-ar.medi
qafDotless-ar.init, qafDotless-ar.medi
noonghunna-ar.init, noonghunna-ar.medi
hehgoalHamzaabove-ar.init, hehgoalHamzaabove-ar.medi
1 Like

Yes and thank you so much for your help

[quote=“GeorgSeifert, post:6, topic:3485”]
The question is for what languages this glyphs are needed. I didn’t find information about then in the usual places. They all have a unicode but don’t seem to be wildly used. [/quote]
Thats true, I’m arab and i never saw them being used but Arabic, persian & urdu are so wide to know it all 100% and doing it this way connecting wont be a loss anyway

Yes i did that because without this naming and only using the unicode as the name I guess Glyphs didn’t write it’s feature and it it didn’t work unless i used their “nice names”

Thank you for your help Grorg

Now i have an issue with something related to the topic
The glyph gaf-ar is composed supposed to be composed of keheh+diagonal but glyphs says its composed of keheh-ar _fatha_ar

while the fatha-ar is a tashkeel mark that’s different from the diagonal shape used over the keheh to compose Gaf-ar
what’s up with that?

Some of the component are not meat to keep like that. They are just put there to get you started.