Automatic Alignment is Disabled

Hello. I have noticed this behaviour for a few versions now: When building a composite from components manually (for instance, zero.zero from components zero and _zeroslash), the components cannot be automatically aligned (even though the anchors are correct). The context menu gves a greyed-out “Automatic Alignment is Disabled”. Closing the file and re-opening it fixes the issue and the components are automatically aligned.

Any reason this behaviour should occur, or is it simply a bug? Many thanks!

Have you checked Font Info > Others?

This happened to me yesterday. I restarted Glyphs and it worked again.

Yes. That isetting would give a different error (“Automatic Alignment is disabled in Font Info”). This is not the case. As described, this issue is resolved when I close and re-open the file.

This has been happening to me for weeks (on 3116 without the greyed-out message, simply no Automatic Alignment option, and on 3124 with the greyed-out message). You don’t even need to restart Glyphs, just re-opening the file is enough, but the error persists with every time that I build a glyph with this method.

In my case it didn’t reoccur. Which plugins do you have installed? Which reporters active?

I can’t get the “Automatic Alignment is Disabled” item. Is that happening with a new glyph? Or was there something else in it. That item should only show up, if there are any paths.

Hi! I’m getting the same problem with a glyph. After a bit of trial and error, in my case it seems to be caused by the use of Magic Remover plugin. Just thought I’d let you know!

In another thread, Rainer suggested running Tidy Up Paths. This has since been m solution (as the issue still persists, and a lot more so since 3.2). So just run Tidy Up Paths (for all masters, preferably), and automatic alignment should work again.

Perfect! Many thanks