Automatic feature CPSP

When one uses automatic features (Font Info), a CPSP feature is also generated.

Could this be optional ? The change I make in the feature are overruled by the automatic.

I concur. CPSP is rarely implemented in fonts, it would be nice if it wasn’t automatically added.

Add a Custom Parameter to your instances:
Property: Remove Features, Value: cpsp

(edit: Remove Features, not Overlap, thx Fonthausen)

You mean ‘Remove features’ ?

I am glad that G1/2 is making the features automatically for standard demands. If I need more stuff, I can code it.

But why do you add the cpsp feature automatically ? I think this is a design decision and IMHO very dangerous.

When I do jobs as a typographer, I expect no extra spacing between the uppercase characters. Unless when the party that sells the fonts is very clear about that.

Yes, of course, I updated the entry.
Very dangerous? I think that is overstating it a little. It is still in the hand of the typographer what he or she does to the spacing, and it is common practice to add a little for all-caps text. Combining it with other uppercase usually makes for too tight letter spacing. It only kicks in when All Caps is selected in InDesign.

And if it does not make sense in your font, or you simply don’t like it in your font, you can remove it.

More info about cpsp: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/features_ae.htm#cpsp

I am well aware that you sometimes have to add a little for all-caps text.

Maybe I am overreacting by branding it ‘dangerous’. But what I mean, is that G1/2 is adding it on itself, with some ‘default’ values.

If I add alternate glyphs, I am glad that they are put in a feature, for example. Because I put those in it.

Adding spacing, just because there are uppercase characters is to me something of a different order.

Where can I change the default values of the cpsp feature ? Because if I chnage them, they change back when I run ‘check features’.

You need to uncheck the automatic option on cpsp, and then you can change the value in the feature code:

pos @Uppercase <5 0 10 0>;

The first two numbers (5 and 0) are the x and y amounts by which a glyph is moved. The second pair of numbers (10 and 0) is the advance, meaning that the cursor will be placed 10 units further in this case. Effectively, this adds 5 units on each side (or 10 between all uppercase letters). So, e.g., if you want to have twice the amount, write:

pos @Uppercase <10 0 20 0>;

I don’t know if they’ve changed TextEdit, but at one point, it wouldn’t read kerning info unless the font did contain the cpsp feature. Just thought I’d point that out…

Thank you for the explanation, even if I already knew.

If I then check the automatic option on again, it brings back the default values. So this means it should be done at the end of the process, just before the font is generated.

Of course it brings back the default if you check the automatic option for cpsp, what else should it do?

Again: If you do not want the default, do NOT check the automatic option. You can do that at any time in the process.

Zeg… Moet dat een grap worden of wist je dat echt niet? :slight_smile:

Jawel, maar toch vind ik het raarrr … :slight_smile: