Bold assignment doesn't work in Keynote

So when I write something in Cormorant Regular in Keynote and I hit Cmd–B to make it bold, Keynote converts the text into Cormorant Infant Bold. This is the case although I’ve marked Bold as the bold of Regular and Infant Bold as the bold of Infant Regular in Glyphs.

Is Keynote simply incapable of dealing with several instances of a font family that have “bold” in their name, or can this behavior be circumvented?

I suppose changing the font family name of the Infant cuts to “Cormorant Infant” would make things easier. Is there a way to change the family name upon export as part of the custom parameters?

Does that only happen with Keynote or also other Apple apps?

That’s familyName in instance tab.

You are right. The problem with Cormorant Infant is that the Infant is part of the style name. I recommend to have only one Bold assignment in a given family. So, you are better off creating two families, Cormorant and Cormorant Infant (and possibly the others you want to use in Office software, SC and/or Unicase).

Thanks for the input!

I should probably also rename Semibold to Semi, since I’ve seen that used automatically instead of the Bold.

I’ve added a familyName custom parameter, so now the Infant substitution no longer occurs. However, when I bold something, the Semi weight is picked rather than the Bold weight. Any idea why that happens? I specifically renamed the weight from Semibold to Semi to avoid having the “bold” string in the name, but apparently that didn’t help.

Incidentally, I get the following error message every fifth time or so that I try to export my fonts. When I try again, it works again. Weird.

This is a known problem. I can not reproduce it so I can’t fix it.

I have run into that too. Is it possible that it is something to do with faster Macs? In other words, part of the build script is running before the necessary resources have finished being written to disc or something…? Just a hunch based on observing that it happens more often on my new 4GHz iMac than on my old 2.7 GHz MacBook Pro.

When I’ve seen that I’ve long suspected that it comes from hitting Cmd-S (save) right just before Cmd-E (export), and the app hasn’t finished saving before it tries to export?

1 Like

Probably; in a similar aspect;
The amazing fact about Glyphs is its ability to execute multiple operations even when the first one has not been confirmed or finished.

The above example shows the pre-confirmed result of Offset Curve;
While the following screen-shot shows running the Tidy-up Path command result while previous Offset command has not been clicked yet !!

That should not be possible. I have a look.

Halp! My script to automatically export the stylistic alternate instances no longer works.

I was using this code previously:

instanceNamePart = "Infant "
for thisInstance in Font.instances:
    if instanceNamePart in thisInstance.name:

But now the “Infant” is no longer part of the instance name, but of the font family (set via familyName custom parameter at the time of export). How can I change my script above that it recognizes the correct instances once more?

(Maybe I should name the instance Infant Regular after all and use a custom parameter to change it to Regular upon export? I suppose the parameter would be called instanceName? EDIT — nope, doesn’t work.)

Strangely enough, my whole export scheme no longer works as of the newest commit. All 20 instances of the Roman are exported just fine, but the “familyName” custom parameter is ignored. The same 5 files are overwritten 4 times, rather than there being 20 separate files.

Did I break something, or is that a problem of the newest Glyphs version? Incidentally, is there a way to roll back to the last non-cutting-edge version?

I fixed familyName parameter. Will update soon.

Awesome, thanks! :smile:

I still need to fix my script, though. Is there a way to change the instance name via Custom Parameter, too? Or to filter a list of fonts by the value of a custom parameter?

Yanone reworked the way parameters are accessed through Python. Take a look at http://docu.glyphsapp.com

# access all parameters
for parameter in font.instances[0].customParameters:
    print parameter

I put that in my script to see what the result would be… where is the output printed, though? I don’t see anything within Glyphs, and there’s no infodump in the Console either.

Is this related to the bug I reported? When can we expect an update?

The fix includes some new methods on the instance. One of it is “familyName”. It will look for the parameter or the font.familyName.

So do instances offer a familyName method, too, as defined by their familyName custom parameter?

And is this only true in the currently unreleased new build?