Build error for variable font: "There was a problem writing the file"

I already emailed support about this, but I’m posting the answer here in case I need to find the Google it again someday. :smile:

I was trying to export a variable font from Glyphs. It was working until I changed the filename parameter in the VF export to FamilyVariable[wght].ttf, which still worked to export, but with a duplicate file extension, like FamilyVariable[wght].ttf.ttf. However, after that, I could no longer export, and got this vague error message:

Eventually, after restarting my app, my computer, and trying a few versions of Glyphs, I found the solution:

In Finder, I navigated to /Users/stephennixon/Library/Application Support/Glyphs 3/, in which I searched for FamilyVariable. I then deleted all files and folders with that name.

Finally, the VFs exported as usual.

Hope no one else faces this, but if they do, I hope this helps!

Same problem… Yesterday it returned me the same message and I can’t identify any anomalous action by myself. I simply changed the design of a letter and exported as a variable font. Today the situation has changed and the alert I receive is the one shown in the screenshot.

I tried to do manual hinting but the alert comes back. (But now the alert is again “There was a problem writing the file”). For completeness I must specify that there are some letters in the font that contain an overlap of points and where the application shows a red dot (this is essential for me to make the paths compatible between the various masters that I have drawn). I don’t know if it’s an orthodox practice or if it’s not recommended but so far it has never caused any kind of problem and I find it difficult to eliminate all the glyphs that contain this overlap.

Is that the latest cutting edge version? That is fixed already (the update is out already).

And it was reported twice already today.

Corners shouldn’t trigger this error, since they shouldn’t be exported. Did you set your corner component to non-exporting?

I’ve upgraded now and it works!

Yes it was set to export… (although I’m sure I initially prevented the export…)