Calt + Zero Width Space

Hi guys,

I’m working on a font with 5 variants of each glyph, the variants cycle through 1-2-3-4-5-1-2 etc. I’ve included 5 space characters etc so that the cycle continues even after a word break. I thought it would be handy to include another space (with zero width) that I could type/paste at the begging of the sequence to get everything to reflow (So a user can flick through the variants and advance the cycle to the next variant). I tried adding 5 variants of unicode zerowidthspace - 200B. This works within glyphs, however in indesign it does not. I then tried again using unicode punctuationspace - 2008. This works in glyphs, but only once in indesign, eg can only be typed once in a row.

Any suggestions as to how I could get round this?

Very likely, the app does not use your glyph when you use that character. This may be different in different composers.

But you can use a character that you can type and that is otherwise unused, like the lozenge?

You do not need to duplicate the space btw., just mention space in all cycling classes. Did you read the tutorial about advanced contextual alternates?

Or you apply a stylistic set to the first character that shifts the cycle.

I think you’re right @mekkablue the zerowidthspace wasn’t a good solution. As Georg mentioned i’m going to stick with applying stylistic sets to shift the cycle.

I didn’t quite get what you mean about not needing the 5 space variants though… When I just have a single space mentioned in all cycles then the character following the space is always ss01? My Aim is to have the cycle continue 1-2-3-4-5-1-2 etc

I assume your five spaces look exactly the same, right? So in effect, you do not cycle 1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-…, but 1-2-3-space-5-1-2-space-4-…, which makes no sense. Wouldn’t it be better to cycle 1-2-3-space-4-5-1-2-space-3-…?

This is explained in this tutorial: Features, part 3: advanced contextual alternates | Glyphs

1 Like

Ah ok, I’ve got you now. Cheers!