Can Glyphs create a stroke-based variable font? Can variable fonts even be stroke-based?

I’m almost at my wits end trying to accomplish an exclusively stroke-based font in another editor, and I’m not sure this is even possible and a huge waste of time.

I wanted to create a monoline sans-serif vector-looking font. I have gone through a few iterations of a competitors software and I thought it’s latest one might finally be able to accomplish this. But in short, I’m running into so many roadblocks it seems like I’ll have to manually expand-stroke and flatten each glyph in each master and just sell the font without it being variable the way I thought.

Do I just need to flatten my glyphs regardless of what app that I use? or Can this stroke-based method going from thin to extra bold (and different widths) work well in Glyphs?

Here’s a preview of the S. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Fonts with only single-stroke contours are not possible. You can use the Stroke feature in Glyphs and set it to 1 unit.

Search for “stroke” or “CAD” in the forum. That has been discussed a few times.

yes, glyphs can do this with the stroke feature, the expanding happens on export. but you will probably eventually want to expand the strokes to make optical corrections

unless you mean a font that is truly a single stroke in which case georg’s advice about cad applies