Centering of components during interpolation

I ran into an issue where the two components of a composite glyph are not centred on each other during interpolation. The arms and legs is one component with an anchor in the middle, and the vertical stem is another component with a corresponding anchor in its middle.

I would expect the components to also align with each other when interpolating, but they don’t, why not?

You can see the issue in the screen recording below. Notice how the left side arm and leg and stem leaves a gap in the middle of the interpolation.
Dropbox

Hey @GeorgSeifert did you see this one? PS: The video does not play here, it’s a bug in your site.

@GeorgSeifert this is still an issue with the latest build. Please look into this.

I uploaded a new version.

Still not fixed.

My last comment was supposed to go to a different thread.

I had a look. The problem is the combination of the brace layers in the “_UC-Zhe-cy-wings” and the fact that the stem is a smart component. The brace layers mean that the metrics and positioning of the wings interpolated none linearly. And the smart component is decomposed in the interpolation process. That means the automatic alignment can’t run any more. When you select all the brace layers, and run “re-interpolate metrics”, the offset is reduced.

Alright. The user error here is probably that I updated the keyed metrics, and that would have overwritten the intermediate layers, or the normal layer sidebearings were changed after the creation of the intermediate layers. Urg. I guess the only way to catch this kind of error would be to make a script checking this and run automatically before each generate of the fonts.

Another little niggle: If I select all the intermediate layers and then right click and choose re-interpolate metrics only the layer I perform the right click on will re-interpolate. That function should act on all the selected layers.