Clipped glyph in G4 (possibly cap component related)

I have a glyph that’s getting clipped going from Glyphs3 to Glyphs4.

Here’s how the glyph looks across 4 masters in Glyphs 3:

And here’s the same glyph in Glyphs 4 when I open the G3 file:

This seems to be related to the cap component, though all the other letters in the font that use it look fine. When I delete it from the glyph it goes back to the correct shape. However if I then try to re-add, the option doesn’t show up in the context menu (but again in other glyphs removing and trying to re-add works fine).

The cut of should be fixed in Glyphs 4.2. And I just fixed the missing menu to add a cap.

I’m seeing this in 4.2 (v4200).

Could you send me that file?

Sent!

A bit off topic, my apologies. For the connectors I have switched to segment components:

They’re less smart than caps but perfect for this task.

Ah interesting. What’s the difference between these and the cap components? They both seem to scale and adjust when attached to ends of different sizes. Or is it more about the intended usage?

EDIT: changing to _segment instead of _cap still produces the clipping, FWIW.

Add an “right” anchor one unit to the right of the node2 anchor.

And for the _segment, rotate it 90° (and make sure there is a “start” and “end” anchor:

It expects it to be horizontally. I’ll see if I can fix that.

I found the actual problem and fixed it.

There’s amekkablue script called Convert Cap to Segment Component

Functionally what’s the difference between the cap and segment components though, intention of use? Applies to a curve? Decomposes differently on output? :slight_smile:

The segment component is just stretched. The cap has more sophisticated ways of merging smoothly into the host path.

Thanks Georg for the upcoming fix!

And thanks Rainer for the script and the explanation. Seeing the difference between the two if I move the top node in the letter, say 20 points, up is interesting; one stretches to fill the space (segment) and the other continues the original curve past that point but retains the next (cap). I see how both could be quite useful!