Conditional Kerning Foul-Up (My first font - be gentle)

I’m finishing my first font in Glyphs 3.2.2 (3259), and I’m facing a problem I can’t seem fix. The font is a display-class font-- caps only.

When I preview dummy text strings in a Glyphs text window (kerning on), it looks perfect. However, when I export the font and create a sample file in InDesign or Illustrator, some kerned pairs are dramatically close together.

A good example is the word, ‘NOW.’ In InDesign or Illustrator, when I type the NO, it’s fine. The moment I type the ‘W’, the ‘NO’ pair jams close together. If I change the W to another character, the kerning goes back to being okay.

I’ve tried exporting the file with all kerned pairs, and then exporting with no kerned pairs. The result is the same in InDesign and Illustrator.

I’m baffled. What am I missing?

This might be an issue when optical kerning is used instead of metrics kerning, see:

Or it might be a font caching issue, see:

Thanks for the quick response. I should say the problem exists when using metric. When I switch to optical, the problem goes away.
I will try the font caching fixes now.

Hi Florian,
Dissappointing news – I have tried all of the fixes above including:
— Changing the font Family name
— Thoroughly cleaning out all of the Mac font caches
— Relocating and retargeting the Adobe temporary Fonts folder within “Library”
… all to no avail. The problem still exists.
Any more possible ideas? Thanks so much in advance. (Remember, this is all manifest in “Metric” setting.)

– Jeff

Do you have a “kern” feature in font info > features? If so, remove it.
Otherwise, could you send me the file?

Hi Georg, Thank you for your help. I do not appear to have a “kern” feature in Font Info.

Can you test your font in fontgauntlet.com?

Hi all, I tested in font gauntlet and the problem persisted.
Then I went back into the Glyphs file and deleted all of the Features – and the problem went away.
(see screenshots).
Any clues?

Can you send me the file?

Certainly. How do I send it directly to you?

You can send the .glyphs file to support (at) (this website without ‘www’ or ‘forum’).

Thanks! Will do. :+1:

You happen do have added some kerning in the RTL mode. Switch to RTL mode in the lower right of the edit view: Then open the kerning window, select all kerning and click the minus button in the Kerning window.

Fantastic! Thanks so much! You are a life-saver.

Feature request: It might be nice if there were a way to globally disable RTL and/or Top to Bottom on any particular Glyphs file to avoid “accidents” like me being a dummy. :smile: