Converting anchors from straight corner to round

Hi I am creating a variable font and I have these blue points that I cannot convert to anything else, I need a green round point with handles on both side. I tried to use hold option when clicking but this doesn’t do anything.

It is for a variable font, I need to match the drawing in the back but every new anchor point I add is the same blue one with no options.

Section 4.1, page 21 in the Manual or online at:

Or in the web edition:

Some notes:

• The points on paths are referred to as nodes in Glyphs, or on-curve nodes and off-curve nodes (handles). Anchors are something else.
  • The “blue square”/“green disk” difference does not matter for variable fonts, it is only a convenience for your while working on the font.

Hi, thank you for the quick reply. I looked over everything but I still cannot convert the nodes, i tried double clicking (this only work was the notes already has handles) and adding a zero handles plugin but it does not show up in my filters. Any ideas how to make this filter work?

Thank you!

That is by design. A nodes without handles cannot be smooth (green disk). You can add handles to a segment (line between two nodes) by Option-clicking it.

I tried this before but in did not work, it seem to work now! But it does not work on every segment, is this normal?

Thank you!

Can you show on which segments this does not work?

On these two it does not work.

Which two? I count at least four complete segments in your screenshot.

Clicking with the Option key held down on those line segments does not add handles?

No, I am wondering it could be because this is in a new master and the handles are not in the original master yet.

But after adding these it still does not work.

Editing one layer is independent of the content on the layer of other masters, so that should not be the issue.

Could you clarify what you have added and what still does not work? I assume you have now added handles to those line segments you haven encircled in the screenshot above and that converting corner nodes to smooth nodes still does not work, but without more context, I cannot know what might be the reason for that or if my assumption is correct.

I went back to the original master and added lines on every segment that did not have any yet, thinking this might be the problem. But coming back to this master, I still could not add the handles, and therefore still not convert the notes.

Could you send me the file via a private message? Then I can do a short screen recording of how I would do it. I just send you a message to which you can respond, if you can share the file.

I was cleaning up the file by removing the screenshot behind the vector and this turns out this was the problem all along, when I removed it I could add the handles.

Thanks you all very much for taking the time to help me look into this problem!

Removing the background image should not be necessary. I just tested it, and I can add handles and convert nodes whether there is a background image or not and with the background image lock and unlocked. If you could provide your file with the background image, I can look into what might have gone wrong on your end, but the important thing is that it now works for you.

What version of Glyphs do you have?

I will update