Crash when making OTF

Hi, I’m creating an icon font with more than a 1000 symbols and when I export in OTF, for some reason, I always end up with some generic “Unknown error”.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 21.20.20

Below it’s a code I got from temp folder, I can’t figure what’s wrong.

I had set custom naming on, as I need to use different names for some standard symbols (arrows), while using correct Unicode codes.

I’m using GLYPHS 2.6.6 (1352).

Support/Glyphs/Temp/GLYPHICONS\ Arrows\ Set-temp/generateFont.command ; exit;
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:574] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:648] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:649] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:650] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:651] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:652] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:653] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:654] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:655] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:660] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:661] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:714] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:769] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:770] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:771] (record skipped)(gnameError)
makeotfGlyphs [WARNING] syntax error [GlyphOrderAndAliasDB:772] (record skipped)(gnameError)
/Users/jankovarik/Library/Application Support/Glyphs/Temp/GLYPHICONS Arrows Set-temp/generateFont.command: line 3: 58569 Illegal instruction: 4  "/Applications/Glyphs.app/Contents/PlugIns/OTF.glyphsFileFormat/Contents/Resources/makeotfGlyphs" -f font.pfa -mf FontMenuNameDB -ff features.fea -overrideMenuNames -o ../null-temp.otf -osbOn 6 -fs -gf GlyphOrderAndAliasDB -r -nS
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

It seems that you managed to set invalid glyph names. Can you check the file ‘ GlyphOrderAndAliasDB’ in the lines that are mentioned in the error message.

Thank you Georg,

you are right – it happened when I pre-generate UTF codes along with my custom names and some glyphs have longer names. Once I update them, it worked as expected. But at any rate, it would be nice to get a better error message :wink: At least something like: “Names of some characters are too long.” I’m not sure if this is changed in version 3.x.

Thanks again

I think the errors are much improved in Glyphs 3.

I see, well it looks like it’s a time for me to finally upgrade to version 3.x – I’ve just sent my request via email, thanks.

Hello,
I have Version 2.6.6 (1352)
And it crashes most of the time. I am working on a font now and it crashed like 10 times.
The font is basic, nothing complicated, simple shapes.
I guess you guys are trying to make me buy version 3?

Does this mean that no support at all is provided for version 2?

I mean it was working fine up until version 3 was released. And currently, I don’t need v3 because for what I need v2 should be enough.

We still do support for 2. Can you try the latest cutting edge version (activate it in Preferences > Updates)

And what version of MacOS do you have?

Big Sur 11.5.1 (20G80)
Updated Mac just today, but Glyphs was still crashing.
Updated Glyphs to a cutting edge version, will see how it goes.

Also, how long does the promo code for v3 update is valid for? It’s just that currently I’m not ready to update yet and not sure I need to because my fonts are… well, not that complex.

The crashes didn’t disappear. Every time I try something new (for example changing reference point in rotation) or some new filter it just crashes.

Did you update to the cutting edge version? Can you please send each crash report (with the dialog that comes up when you restart Glyphs.

And can you start Glyphs while holding the Option+Shift keys to disable all plugins?

I updated to cutting edge version, yes.
Here’s the screenshot:

I could start without plugins, but I need them. Will it resolve my issue?

The above crash is when I tried changing reference point.
I got another one now even if I disabled plugins when I tried changing rotation angle. The crash report is too long…

What I did with Glyphs recently is I used a trial version of Glyphs 3 and uninstalled Glyphs 2. Thought maybe I could finish this font within a month but I just didn’t have time. I uninstalled v3 and re-installed v2, successfully registered it again with my license file I found in my archives. And it’s crashing since…

Also, let me just mention it here, when I go to tools and want to select one them, everything is highlighted:

is this a normal behavior?

The toolbar drawing in Big Sur is a bit confused. I can’t really change that right now.
I’ll see if I find the crash.