Cursive substitutes

I am working with a cursive linked font and have many international characters. I would like to have a different lower case letter for the letter r,s, l, and t at the start of the word and an alternate for the middle and possibly the end. There has to be something simpler than adding all that code for subbing (especially for all those letters). I tried the Arabic init, medi and fina, but cannot get it to work. I need help. Diverting cursive and linking questions to forming an Arabic font is confusing and I feel it doesn’t work the same. We need a full tutorial on creating a cursive linked font with alternate beginnings, middles, and endings along with better connection options to quicken the process.

That exact tutorial has been on my list for a while. I actually started it a few weeks ago, but didn’t get around to finish it yet. Perhaps I can speed that up a little.

In short, you need to put the various positions in different lookups, and start those lookups with an ignore statement. Give me a day or two for the step-by-step tutorial.

Workaround in the meantime: In InDesign, you can activate automatic positional forms to activate the init, medi and fina.

1 Like

Sorry, but I have no idea on how to do that. If you could email me some directions that would be great . I am a beginner for the font design software aspect so the different diction is my stumbling block. I catch on quickly though. I have this cursive font with all alternates just waiting for the proper coding. Thanks for the response.