Curve Equalizer plugin started crashing Glyphs

I’ve removed the plugin, re-downloaded, etc. but every time I try to re-install I’m getting this crash now (see screenshot). Was working fine last time I checked, not sure what changed.

@jkutilek any ideas? Really dig the plugin by the way :slight_smile:

I’m on an M1 MacBook Pro with Mac OS Ventura 13.6.3 running Glyphs 3.1.2 (3151)

I also tried removing and then re-installing the vanilla module to see if that could be it. It just threw a new error.

This is not an issue with the plugin, but with the Vanilla module. Please reinstall that and then relaunch Glyphs.

I actually just edited the original post to reflect that I did in fact try that. Just threw a new error :man_shrugging:

Could you also reinstall the Python module and see if that fixes things?

Good call. I’m not sure what’s going on now actually. I re-installed everything, including python. Here’s what I see now…looks normal…

And I double checked the versions of python installed on my OS…

But now every time I open Glyphs after I try to re-install Curve Equalizer, I see one of these:

^ I don’t understand this one because I thought I’d confirmed Python 3 is already installed…that’s what the modules window says and that’s what I’m seeing in my command line / Terminal app.

^ This is what happens now whenever I try to re-install that plugin.

And when I go to check which version of Python to use in Glyphs, I’m not able to make a selection anymore:

I know next to nothing about command line but have recently been trying to learn. So, I assume I broke something, but it’s not clear to me what the issue is to investigate.

@FlorianPircher Hmm…could my problem be that python 3 is running via Homebrew rather than the usr/local/bin path?

@FlorianPircher I think I’m starting to figure out some of the error of my ways here as I’m reading some more Glyphs documentation and re-tracing my steps. I thought it’d be sweet to be able to run Font Bakery and other tools on my own brew but might have bitten off more than I can chew.

I’m going to see if I can’t find my issue and will ping back here if I’m still stumped after awhile.

Sometimes I just jump into the deep end of something to see if I can swim :grimacing:

Thanks for the kind words about Curve Equalizer :slight_smile:

I think Glyphs 3.1.2 only supports Python 3 up to version 3.10.x, so it won’t recognize your installation of Python 3.12. Installing Python via the plugin manager should give you a compatible version though!?

It might be worth a shot to download an installer for Python 3.10.11 from python.org and use that for Glyphs.

I don’t know if it’s possible to install an older Python via homebrew.

I’m not exactly sure how I managed it, but I was able to get a version of python 3 that was compatible using an update command. Restarted and now I’m seeing everything installed correctly and Curve Equalizer is back up and running like a top. Thanks @FlorianPircher and @jkutilek for the insight!

You can install python through homebrew (I usually install python with the installer from python.org) and use that from the Terminal (to run fontbakery) and use the Glyphs Python inside Glyphs. You can even install multiple versions and pick the one you like to use in Glyphs from Preferences > Addons.