Diacritics works when typing on GlyphApp but not after exporting

Is there a similar requirement for dotaccents?

As an update to the above, I tried both Adobe fonts folders on a newer Mac with identical results. Both Macs are running El Capitan and CC 2017.

As this is going a little off topic (sorry for hijacking your thread, komplicado!) should I make a new topic with this issue?

No. There’s no asciidot.

What results, and what have you tried?

Rainer, the same problem relates to acute in MacOS: it is displayed as quotesingle if you type just the accent.

And please note, Windows treat accents differently. If you type an accent in Windows apps, there is no visual information you did it. If you enter ´ folowed by a letter a, you will just see the letter á. If you want to insert a (noncombining) accent only, you can type ´ followed by a space.

Which app? Which keyboard layout?

Ah, I didn’t realize this is a problem of Czech and Slovak keyboard layouts only! Anyway, it is a system-wide bug, it is present in all apps. (To make it even more complicated, in InDesign [CS6, CC2017] the acute accent is displayed as quotesinglbase or quoteleft, depending on language defined for the particular paragraph!)

I’ve tried a few variations on two Macs, both running El Capitan and Adobe CC 2017…

Using — Library > Application Support > Adobe > Fonts — works in Illustrator but not in InDesign or Photoshop (font not listed).

Using App specific folders —
Indesign > Fonts — works in InDesign.
Photoshop > Fonts — font not listed.
Illustrator > Fonts — font not listed.

When the font is exported to the InDesign font folder, diacritics work as intended (Bdot etc.)
If the font is exported to the Application support > Adobe > Fonts folder, the font is available in Illustrator but not in Photoshop or InDesign and the tittled characters (in Illustrator)type in Myriad. These can be changed back to the correct font which then displays correctly.

The Adobe apps check for the presence of the folder at startup. When did you create the folder? Just recently? While the apps were still running? You need to restart the apps once.

That is auto replacement. Turn off the typographic quotes setting in these apps.

If you turn off typographic quotes, you will get “quotes” instead of „quotes“ or “quotes”. Nevertheless, it does not matter what is displayed in InDesign if you type an acute, because it works: typing acute (or caron) followed by letter will insert the right and expected character; the way the accent is displayed is just an aesthetic problem.

You can still type them, though: on a Czech keyboard, you would use the combos Option-H, J, and N. Add Shift for double quotes.

InDesign’s auto replacement is risky because it can only guess what your intention was.

Sure, but this is off topic now. The message was: Czech and Slovak keayboard layouts for MacOS display quotesingle instead of acute which I think we could consider a bug. And it means if type designer does not include quotesingle, there may be consequences described above.

I restarted the apps after creating and installing the fonts. The results were the same.

Then I assume there is something wrong with the folder setup or your CC installation. I suggest you schedule for an Adobe support session.

Mekkablue,
Am exporting my font to Library/application support/Adobe/Fonts
None of my accented characters will type without falling back to Myriad (Illustrator, Photoshop) I’ve check the font, I have a dotaccentcomb, asciicircum, and asciitilde. No joy. Have reexported and same thing.

Do you have the precomposed diacritics as well, e.g., adieresis?

https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/diacritics

mekkablue,
For some reason it started working. My impatience is showing. It appears the creation of those three glyphs : dotaccentcomb, asciicircum and asciitilde did the trick. I’m happy again.

1 Like

I’m fairly new with glyphs, but even though I have all the necessary (comb)glyphs, I’m also still running with this issue. Even in TextPreview, the typing of a diacritic (in combination) will turn into a fallback font. Weird thing is; when I then select the changed diacritic, I can change the font to my own again, and it will display as it is supposed to…

You also need to add the legacy spacing marks. This is described in the Diacritics tutorial:
https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/diacritics