Different interpolation values in the same instance?

Is there some way to vary the interpolation value for different characters in the same instance. For instance, to set the weight value of the caps to a slightly different amount than the weight value of the lowercase. If not, what would be the best way to achieve such an effect? The only way I can think of is to generate two separate instances and then somehow move characters from one to the other.

1 Like

This is not possible (yet).
Why exactly would you like to do that?

To adjust the weight of the caps vs lowercase for one instance without affecting other instances.

FWIW, it’s not something I’ve wanted to do before, but it has come up because of a (very picky) client request. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to accomplish it, not asking for a new feature.

One idea to consider: make some use of the brace layer for intermediate masters for the caps.

https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/additional-masters-for-individual-glyphs-the-brace-trick

You could also consider using the RMX Tuner or Scaler to adjust the weights of those intermediate caps masters.
http://remix-tools.com/glyphsapp

If it’s only for a single instance, you could also generate the instance and then make the same weight adjustments within that instance.

Let me know if you want further detail/thought on that. Hope that helps some.

I would go with RMX Tuner on this one. The brace trick will be tedious to apply on all letters.

That idea came up before. I’ll have a look.

Thanks. Not at my desk now, but I’ll give the RMX idea a try later.

You can use RMX only if you have a MM font. So it does not work on instance…

Extrapolation and pseudo-master comes to mind.

What do you mean by that?

Only that this tricks RMX to work and if changes are indeed minor than this could be enough. But I bet Mark has MM set already anyways.

I’d also be interested to see how to devise a workflow for this. Multi-script fonts often require different stem weights for different scripts and having some kind of flexibility would be great, rather than redrawing the masters or combining instances from different files.

Re: MM, yes.

Yes, I think RMX Tuner will do the trick. It’s been a while since I used it last and I guess I forgot what it can do. Thanks everyone!