Different Line-spacing for different scripts

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you if it is possible to create different Line-spacing for different scripts in GlyphsApp. For example if I have Latin and Greek and I want to create bigger Line-spacing for Greek, but not for Latin, how can I do that?

Thanks

And what should happen if you have both Greek and Latin in the same edit tab?

And… why?

It could be possible with CFF2 or in CID-keys fonts. But the former is not implemented and supported in apps and the later does not reliable work for none CJK fonts.

1 Like

I added two scripts in my repository: App > Increase and Decrease Line Height. Set keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts > Glyphs and you can switch quickly between line heights.

1 Like

so, we have Latin and Georgian characters. Georgian characters have complicated ascender and descender, so when you have both scripts together, it looks like taht the Georgian text needs more space between the lines. Therefore I thought, it would be helpful to have bigger line-spacing for Georgian text.

I added two scripts in my repository1: App > Increase and Decrease Line Height. Set keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts > Glyphs and you can switch quickly between line heights.

it changes only view due custom parameter such es “EditView Line Height”, right? or it will change the real Line Height in the Applications such as InDesign and etc.?

The ‘real’ line height in InDesign is set by the user, not the font. Have you used InD before? If not, please take a look at the Character palette. There is a setting for leading, defined in pts by the user:

By default, InDesign will assume 120% of the em (font size). There is nothing you can do inside the font to prevent the user from setting a different line spacing. IOW the only thing you can do to fit the default (if that is what you want), is scale your glyphs to fit within 120% of your UPM. Furthermore, it is up to the user to pick a leading that suits his or her needs.

If not, please take a look at the Character palette.

:smile: I know that, I asked if your script works like Vertical Metrics as well: Vertical metrics | Glyphs
But as I see the script is only for view larger or smaller line-height (which is actually very required too)

There is nothing you can do inside the font to prevent the user from setting a different line spacing.

yes, I see, it is not possible to create different Line-spacing for different scripts, I just asked about it, maybe it is bad idea anyway :grimacing: but thank you very much, your script is helpful anyway.

Maybe you can draw the other scripts a bit smaller?

I have no knowledge and experience for it, Georg :see_no_evil:
but the given script is actually helpful for me.
Thank you again :heart: