Different parens before and after lowercase and uppercase

Hi,
I designed two different parenleft and parenright which should appear before and after lowercase and uppercase words (excepting: d, f, l). After lowercase it is optically centered to the x high.
Now these are alternates but it should work as an opentype feature.
I think this should be something contextual alternate feature but I don’t know how.
Could anyone help me in it?
Thank you.

Consider a situation like: (Example), your attempted solution would output two unequal parentheses. I suggest naming your uppercase parentheses with a .case suffix. That way the user can decide. And all cap setting will trigger it.

If you still want to do a contextual substitution, take a look at this tutorial: https://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/features-part-2-contextual-substitutions

1 Like

Thank you Mekkablue!

The uppercase glyphs are the normal parens and the lowercase glyphs are the unusual ones.

I am trying now this:
sub [a c d e g i j m n o p q r s t u v w x y z] ‘parenleft.alt by parenleft.alt;
sub [a b c e g h i j k m n o p q r s t u v w x y z] parenleft.alt’ by parenright.alt;

it should be like this:

lowercase = [a c d e g i j m n o p q r s t u v w x y z]; // define a class in the class section.

sub parenleft' @lowercase by parenleft.alt;
sub @lowercase parenright' by parenright.alt;
1 Like

Thank you!
at the calt section?

Yes.

1 Like

I made a lowercase class but i got an error message:
syntax error at “lowercase” missing

You need to call the class ‘lowercase’ and it should only contain glyph names.

1 Like