Distorted Preview in InDesign

However, if I export all the weights in OTF, there is no distortion shown. hmmmm

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-06 um 14.50.36

The variable font contains TrueType outlines. When you convert to outlines, those will be converted back to cubic curves. That explains the extra nodes.
I suspect that the distortion is a rendering artifact/bug.
How does it look if you export an PDF?

1 Like

When I change paths in Glyphs into quadratic curves, there’s barely a visible change in the shape of the initial Design.

PDF looks fine or maybe not as bad as in InDesign I guess…

It is not only adding the points, you must very slightly move them in a symetrical manner and pull the control points slightly to align the tension in the curve. Very small adjustments!

1 Like

I don’t think there is a problem to be fixed with the outlines. But could you send me the file that I could have a look?

1 Like

Thanks Georg. How can I send it to you?

Send an email to support at this domain.

1 Like

Thanks! Send

That seems to be a bug in Indesign. The same outline exported as variable font renders curves differently than lines.

I played around with manually TrueType hints and that seems to improve this. But that shouldn’t be needed.

1 Like

Thanks for checking! So should I just ignore the distortion for the moment?

Yes.

1 Like

There seems to be more than one point in the same spot (outlined), which always lead to those “cracks” when rendered. So that’s what I meant by “check for extra points”, not the diagonal ones.

2 Likes