Duplicating outlines

I’ve just started and am finding much of the process intuitive. However, I’ve come across one insurmountable difficulty:
I’ve drawn a capital letter ‘H’, and want to transfer the outline into the ‘I’ editing box. I can then easily delete the unwanted part of the outline to create the necessary upright. Letters like F, E, N and L will similarly be simple to create.
If there is a way to do this I can’t find it.
I’m sure I’m missing something, but what?
Angus

With the Type tool (shortcut T), type these letters next to each other, HEFL.
Switch between letters by double clicking on them
Selecting, copying and pasting works as expected.
Pro tip for selecting: Double clicking a path selects the complete outline.

Read this:
https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/edit-view

Hi Mekkablue,
Thanks for your speedy response.
As far as I can tell, I can only edit shapes already created in their individual boxes. Thus, the editing is, initially, a matter of tracing the original shape rather than simply altering a duplicate (deleting the unwanted parts of ‘H’ to create ‘I’) for example. Have I understood correctly?
Thanks for you patience.

I don’t understand what you are trying to do. How do you expect to transfer the shape of the H into the I other then copy pasting them?

Sorry if I’m not making myself clear.
I am working now using the type tool, in the way suggested above.
However, as far as I can see the editing has to be done on a letter shape already deposited in the main type file, then by ‘tracing’ a duplicate of the first letter in the series. It would be simpler for me if I could use that duplicate for editing - simpler because all the dimensions, curves etc are already worked out.
If I’m still not making sense, son’t worry - I’m only on my second day of Glyphs and it’s coming together fairly well.

If you copy the outline from the “H” to the “I”, and then remove the right stem and the horizontal bar, The left side bearing is set already and the right side bearing is different anyway.

You can create new glyphs, and start shapes from scratch.

You can copy a path from one glyph, activate another glyph, and paste it there.

Or, advanced trick:

1. Go to the empty other glyph (e.g. by double clicking).
  2. Choose Glyph > Add Component (Cmd-Opt-Shift-C), and pick the glyph whose shapes you want to duplicate. Once you confirm the dialog, a (grey) component of that glyph is inserted.
  3. Choose Glyph > Decompose Components (Cmd-Shift-D) to dissolve the component into its original paths.

Now you can edit to your heart’s content.

Brilliant. Problem sorted.
Many thanks for your persistence on this.
Have a great day

1 Like