Export all characters for pasting into Indesign etc

Hi - how do I copy all characters from Glyphs into Indesign for font displays? They’re coming in with names, e.g. K_A.liga, rather than the glyph itself. The “Copy glyph names” doesn’t have this option, and cutting and pasting from the Preview window doesn’t work either. (I’ve fixed a few ligatures manually at the beginning, but I’m guessing there’s an easier way) :

Thanks.

1 Like

For pasting, you want all the glyphs with a Unicode, i.e. all characters. You can set up a Smart Filter for that purpose.

You cannot copy and paste ligatures. You will have to type them and activate OT Features.

Thanks for the fast reply, Rainer. Smart filter? I just googled it, but I’m none the wiser.

What about the .osf (or any other glyph without a Unicode value?) Would they need to be chosen from the Glyphs chooser palette in Adobe apps one by one? I have fonts with alternates for all the characters (sometimes two alternates for all the characters) and wondered if I could save myself double-clicking each one (there are several hundred) manually.

You could write a indesign tagged text file that activates all the needed features. I don’t know how to do it with the clipboard.

Hi Georg — I’ve not heard of Tagged Text, and a cursory google confused me further. Seems to let you specify things like “bold” or “italic”? Am I right in thinking I’d need to write some code that would convert something like “K_A.liga.ss01” into the actual ligature? A kind of “find/replace”?

Ideally what we need is a straight character dump - “print/copy all characters in font”. That avoids pre-programming the various OT functions the font may have beforehand into an Indesign file. Also, when doing multiple fonts, the specifics of each font change so much that a universal “show all characters” Indesign file might be hard to create.

Aha, there may be a plug-in: https://indesignsecrets.com/make-a-font-contact-sheet-in-indesign.php

2 Likes

Hurrah!

(Just celebrated with a cup of tea and a biscuit)

1 Like

Font View (Cmd-Opt-1), all the way in the bottom left corner of the window, there is a gear menu. Click on it to open the menu, choose New Smart Filter, add conditions with the plus button, and set Has Unicode to true, and Export to true. That will give you all glyphs that both export and have a Unicode.

2 Likes