Export several instances into one file

Hello everyone,

I recently received a request from a customer who needs all weights/instances of a font family exported into a single font file due to performance issues on their website. Interestingly, they’re not referring to a variable font.

However, I’m not aware of any method to achieve this using Glyphs or thinking this is a contemporary solution. Has anyone encountered a similar request before or knows of a possible solution?

Thanks in advance,
Yang

I would be surprised if serving one big font file is significantly better for performance than multiple small files.

If there is no way around this, I would base64 encode the font files and put all of them into a single CSS file.

Thanks for your input. I will look into base64, but their developer insist in a “one file” solution. :man_shrugging:

You could try to build a TrueType Collection file. That is not directly supported in Glyphs, but there are command line tools to do that.

this git discussion explains a few things: Tool to split/merge TTC · Issue #17 · fonttools/fonttools · GitHub scroll down most of the way for the latest suggestions.

Thanks Georg, I think that’s what they are looking for. :ok_hand:

Note that collections do not work on the web/with CSS.

Thanks Florian, I will mention it to the dev.