Exporting Fontlab to Glyphs

I know this subject has been touched upon before, but can’t seem to find a solution in previous threads. I’ve downloaded the export script from Github(https://github.com/schriftgestalt/Glyphs-Scripts/blob/master/Glyphs%20Export.py) and stored it in the fontlab macro folder and then tried running it in the FL Macro Panel. The script creates a file, but it is Zero bytes, and Glyphs states it can’t be opened. The Macro Panel returns a loooong output message that starts as follows.

SystemError: dynamic module not initialized properly
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 8, in
File “/Applications/code/RoboFab_599_plusAllDependencies/RoboFab/Lib/robofab/world.py”, line 94, in
from robofab.interface.all.dialogs import SelectFont, SelectGlyph
File “/Applications/code/RoboFab_599_plusAllDependencies/RoboFab/Lib/robofab/interface/all/dialogs.py”, line 169, in
from robofab.interface.all.dialogs_fontlab_legacy2 import *
File “/Applications/code/RoboFab_599_plusAllDependencies/RoboFab/Lib/robofab/interface/all/dialogs_fontlab_legacy2.py”, line 21, in
from Foundation import NSObject
File “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Extras/lib/python/PyObjC/Foundation/init.py”, line 8, in
import objc
File “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Extras/lib/python/PyObjC/objc/init.py”, line 24, in
_update()
File “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Extras/lib/python/PyObjC/objc/init.py”, line 21, in _update
import objc._objc as _objc
SystemError: dynamic module not initialized properly
File “”, line 0
SyntaxError: ‘utf8’ codec can’t decode byte 0x9f in position 4378: invalid start byte
Will write font to: /Users/Jeppe/Documents/typoprojekter/Fl->ufoTest.glyphs

I’m pretty new to working with scripts so, i might have overlooked something obvious to the more trained eye.
If any help, i can copy the whole macro output message in to thread.
Any help is greatly appreciated,

-Jeppe

That doesn’t seem to be output form the export script. There are several references to modules that are not used in the script. Are you sure you run the right script. You need to select “Export Glyphs” in the macro toolbar in FLS.

Only to be sure, drag Glyphs Export.py and drop into the FontLab icon in the dock, doesn’t matter if FontLab is not running. This action will force FontLab to load the script into the Edit Macro panel. Now you need to open the font that you want to export and press run in the Edit Macro panel,

not in the Menu bar.

You can move the scripts to /Library/Application Support/FontLab/Studio 5/Macros, then they are available in FontLab’s Macro toolbar. This is documented in the readme, and in the comment of the script itself.

Thanks for the replies. I had some non-unicode components en the font which seems to have been creating some hickups. Everything is working now!

Could you send me the original .vfb to debug this?

Hej Georg, just wondering — works the macro also for the latest Fontlab Update Version VI?

Never tried it. They say that the FL6 supports the same macro. But I suspect the data model to be a bit different. But you can save a .ufo or maybe even a designspace document.

Thanks, will try it!

Did the script/macro work in FL6? If so, how would you rate the generated glyphs file?

In one of the tutorials (I believe) it is advised that FontLab users avoid using .ufo files exported by FontLab because data will lost, and that the macro is the better option. Although, that is in regards to FontLab Studio 5, not FontLab VI.
I haven’t been able to find much (anything really specific) about the best way to transfer a partially completed font project from FontLab VI to Glyphs. Any information would be helpful!

I would think that now that FL6 has been released for almost half a year, it would make sense to provide some official help with this for anyone who may have grown frustrated by the state of FL6 (which still quite buggy and has a plethora of serious, fundamental problems with its core features which are ignored or unaddressed, updates and fixes are on a slow schedule; and number of frustrated users’ questions go unanswered on the forum, if solutions don’t work there is often no further assistance). I suspect there may be a fair amount of potential to attract new users; but they would need some information of this nature.
Perhaps a comparison of the various possible ways to transfer font projects. What data/features are well preserved and which ones suffer some damages or are completely lost.

Maybe it would be a good time for a Glyphs developer to invest a little time to “try it”?

When you have FL6, you can export as Designspace and open that in Glyphs.

Doesn’t FL6 write .glyphs files?

I think it can read them.