Exporting .woff2 from a Variable Font lose my axes

Hi guys. I have developed a Variable Font with 2 axes which now I need to export in woff2 to play with css (the GX file works fine in Axis-Praxis and in Adobe Illustrator). I have noticed that when I export the font in .woff or .woff2 format Glyphs get me woff font by each instance I have (and deactivating them all less one doesn’t solve my problem). I’m very frustrated because my .gx font works well but in the way to get a woff format I always lose my axes and the result font just have the same behavour as one single style font. How can I export my Variable Font in .woff2 preserving the axes I have done?

The Webfont export does not export a variable font but instantiates a single font. You can compress the variable font with command line tools.

This is my question too.
How can I convert variable Font to woff format?
Is there a tutorial to convert it with command line?

There are commandline tools and other conversion tools for turning the TTF into a WOFF/WOFF2. They don’t come from us though. I believe OTMaster can convert as well.

May I ask whether variable web formats are planned to be supported? Since variable fonts are more useful on the web, seems like it makes a lot if sense to have a possibility to export them. Or is there something wrong about it?

It is on my list.

2 Likes

Any news on the variable woff export? :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is still on our list. For now, convert it with one of the WOFF tools.

1 Like